Brown Water Because Of My Bogwood/ Water Changes ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SugarQube

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi bought a very large piece of bogwood (well was it bogwood it began with an 'M' anyway) cost £24 shop only told me to rinse it since been told I should have been boiling it for a couple of weeks well tank got set up. Asked again yesterday and they said since it has already been in the tank for 2 weeks to leave it now the worst is over. The water is lighter but still brownish well looks like wee wee water. Obviously tank doesn't look so good because of this. Don't want to post any pics because of this :( Should I do more regular water changes because of this ? At the min doing a 20% water change weekly. Appreciate any advise :good:

Mine did this.

i boiles mine for 1 day and added it to the tank. Made the water brown over a few weeks, and didnt clear until i took the wood out and scrubbed it with a brush. After rinsing all the brown came out and my water is now clear! :D

Mine did this.

i boiles mine for 1 day and added it to the tank. Made the water brown over a few weeks, and didnt clear until i took the wood out and scrubbed it with a brush. After rinsing all the brown came out and my water is now clear! :D
Thanks for reply I took it out of the tank and jetwashed it last weekend and boiled it again, hoping maybe another week or so :good:

The stuff causing the water to go brown it called tannins. It's not harmful to the fish, infact some actually like it.

it will eventually fade. 1 of my tanks did this with bogwood in & now its totally clear althou i can't remember how long it took :)
and as said above it does not harm the fish in any way

Most reactions

Back