Brown hair algae or ???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Diggs

Reaction score
The centerpiece in our tank began showing these hairs. (Tank is ~15 years old.) It happened rather quickly. They coincided with a mild infestation of Trumpet Snails that we got when adding some plants and we are leaving be for the moment. Is this some kind of algae? If not, other suggestions?

Attachments

• aqua3.jpg
    aqua3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Are the yellow/ brown hair like things growing?
It's different in a cool way.

Doesn't look like any algae I ever saw in my tanks. I would leave it be until you ID it, looks interesting.

More close pictures would be good. Might be able to look it up with a closer image.

Doesn't look like any algae I ever saw in my tanks.
That's kind of my point. I spent a long time googling but didn't find anything the same which is why I thought I'd bring it here. Below is a closeup taken 90° from the other pic. I'd plucked some off and it grows back slowly. It is expanding.

Attachments

• aqua4.jpg
    aqua4.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 14
Could it be Staghorn Algae. Looks kind of similar to images of Staghorn Algae seen. I have never seen it personally.

Could it be Staghorn Algae. Looks kind of similar to images of Staghorn Algae seen. I have never seen it personally.

I think you're right after looking at other images and vids. My circulation system was partially blocked and water changes were far apart as I was traveling when it first showed up.

Thanks!

It's really interesting. Let it grow and take lots of pictures of it. Keep us updated.

It's really interesting. Let it grow

Heh - That's what I said about the Trumpet snails and I hope I don't regret that decision either. 🙄

(...the solution for the Trumpet snails would be Assassin snails. They are very efficient at what they do.)

If it's Staghorn Algae, it's very hard to remove, It out-compete plants rapidly for nutrients and then covers everything.

I've seen tanks filled with it and depending on the color you get. It looks pretty good, when a total takeover occurs and it covers everything like grass. The fishes loves it.

And there the problems starts... It gets old and breaks in gazillions of little pieces that ampere filtration quickly and rot everywhere.

I would recommend to not let it get it out of hands.

Most reactions

Back