Brown Algae

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

3fsh

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had a 12G eclipse tank up and running (already cycled) for a couple of months now. It had two plants in it (not sure what type) and it was doing okay... then brown algae started growing everywhere. I scrubbed it off of the walls of the tank and the plants, vacuumed the gravel, and did a water change. But it keeps coming back. The tank gets about 10hrs of light every day (I have it on a timer), all water paramaters are normal, nitrates are at about 10, so why does it keep coming back? I bought some more plants the other day hoping that they would out-compete the algae for nutrients. Since I am kind of new to this stuff, any suggestions/advice would be welcome and truly appreciated! (BTW- The tank has no fish in it currently.)

I am having the same problem as you, and my tanks have been up much longer. You can either scrub it off, or I'd suggest adding some ottos when you stock your tank. I got a pair for my 6 gallon and they cleaned it within a day. They're awesome at getting rid of brown algae. :nod:

I'm guessing the brown algae is kind of 'slimy', or 'rusty', rather than 'hairy'. Correct?

If so, you're talking about a diatom outbreak (sometimes called 'diatom algae'). This is a common condition for tanks that are 'new' (1-3 months after cycling), and it can also sometimes happen in tanks with insufficient light.

Chances are it will go away soon-ish, by itself. When it does, that's the time to keep an eye out for green spot algae.

Otos will also help clean it up. I can't give any species recommendations -- I've only seen one type of otocinclus.

It is very slimy and gross. :sick: I had green algae growing all over the place a couple of weeks ago so I cleaned it off and then this brown stuff started growing. I'll look into some otos... anyone else have some suggestions of a good species for a 12G tank?

Unless you've got a really amazing fish store, I doubt you're going to find more than one species of otto. Anyways, it shouldn't matter, they all stay around the same size and enjoy the same diet. Good luck! :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back