Brown algae, how to fix?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Emma1900

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an brown algae issue in my betta tank and I was wondering what caused it and how to fix it. Iā€™ve been scrubbing it but it just comes back the next day. I have some shrimp coming this week maybe they will help get rid of it.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Emma,

I've recently been battling BA (Brown Algae) and BGA (Blue Green Algae- Cyano Bacteria). Here is what I did.

Light
Reduced light from 8 to 6 hours - Some recommend to only reduce one hour to not starve any live plants of light
Reduced light intensity from 100% to 80%
Plants are surviving at this point, with new non-emersive leaves sprouting/thriving.

Nitrate and Organics

I reduced nitrate from average of 10 ppm to 5 ppm by doing larger and more frequent water changes and deeper cleaning of substrate. I also added some Pothos to the tank for a long term nitrate reduction strategy, it is likely to be too early to see any effect.

Current state/Results

BGA all but disappeared after the last WC +12 hrs (Yay!)
BA on the run, but still showing up at much reduced levels on glass. Less on plants every day.

Brown algae is often referred to as diatoms, it's common in new setups where water chemistry is unstable and even more so in those with new sand. Basically it requires silicates to reproduce, perform regular water changes, remove as much as possible and reduce your lighting slightly, it will burn itself out within a few weeks to a few months or so as the sand will become depleted of silicates to leach out into the water column.

Brown algae is often referred to as diatoms, it's common in new setups where water chemistry is unstable and even more so in those with new sand. Basically it requires silicates to reproduce, perform regular water changes, remove as much as possible and reduce your lighting slightly, it will burn itself out within a few weeks to a few months or so as the sand will become depleted of silicates to leach out into the water column.
My tank is not that new..but I did just add more sand as my plant roots started going out of control..that could have caused it. Ok thanks! I guess my new shrimp wonā€™t have to be fed cause they have lots of algae to feed on!

I see what looks like diatoms at the sand level of my tank & on hides where the fish stir up sand. It mixes with green algae & looks brown. Itā€™s an established tank, going on 6 years. I stick my hand in & wipe it off with a white sponge and sometimes remove & rinse the hides. Pretty sure I am seeing green algae & sand, not diatoms.

Most reactions

Back