Brown Algae Eater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
To anyone who's had a brown algae problem recently or is still plagued by it. (and i know there are quite a few out there)

I just got a Synodontis multipunctatus catfish. Also known as a Cuckoo Catfish, also known as the Many Spotted Catfish.

not only is he absolutely beautiful, he started eating away at my brown algae the second i put him in the tank. he worked all night, and cleared one of my caves of brown algae on the outside. he's an industrious little guy.

he's just a baby i guess, as he's only 1.5" or so, but from what i've read on them they can get from 4"-6".

So anyone who's wants an awesome looking catfish, and one that does a great cleanup job of whatever kind of algae you have, give this guy a shot...
Synodontis multipunctatus!

- kip

This fish sounds like just the sort of thing in need to destory the brown algae in my 38gal tank. Are these babies rare? I haven't seen any b4 in my LFS. Are they an import fish? I've heard they are expensive?

Would it be OK. with my two ickle Clownies?

my lfs told me that they are kinda rare. not extremely, but that they only get them once or possibly twice a year. the LFS also said they are in fact imported. Czech Republic i think he said. i got it pretty small, he's only 1.5" like i said, and it was $15.00. not tooo bad of a price. they had a bigger one there they've had for a while i guess, a LOT bigger, and really gorgeous.

i've looked around at online live fish retailers and haven't seen any. liveaquaria.com has some other types of Syno. catish, but not the multipunctatus.

i'm debating getting a second one for my tank, but i don't know. they might get pretty big at full size, and i don't want to end up overstocked.

- kip

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back