Brown Algae And Lighting Question

RENDOG

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jacksonville, Florida
100_2470.jpg


100_2467.jpg


Hello Everyone....New tank, it's been fully cycled for a couple of weeks. I have brown algae present where the light shines but i'm not sure if it goes away on its own or if I have to physically take the stones out and clean them.

Also, what lighting do you recommend? It is a 38 gallon fish only setup (no plants). I was thinking of using the Hagen t5 glo which says it is 39w but a smart person said that the output is way higher than 39watts and would be way too much light for the tank.

Thanks in advance.
 
I can't say how suitable or not that might be, but as a guide I have a 300L tank, (almost 80 US Gallon) and that is running under 2 x 39W HOT5 tubes, so it would seem to me that running a 40 gallon tank (half the size) under 1 x 39W T5 (half the lighting) would make sense.

Are you going to be growing live plants?
I can't remember exactly what the 'mulitplier' is when you are using T5's, but just taking the figures as they are, 39W over 40 US Gallon is giving pretty much 1WPG, so I think if you don't intend to have live plants it 'might' cause you some algae grief.
 
If you're not using live plants, the only purpose the lights really serve is for you to see your fish well. I guess the question is what fittings you have in your tank at the moment. If you currently have a T8 light and ballast, there is no point switching to T5 - you will need to change the whole ballast, and as you don't need the extra light it's a bit of a waste of money.
 
Hey, I have those pebbles in my community tank and suffer with the same problem, so my friend I will give you a little tip :shifty:

When you do your weekly (or there-abouts) water change just turn them over and you will find they are clean on the other side! :hyper: Then just do the same next time and so on.....works for me :good:
 
100_2475.jpg


I'm temporarily using a 65Watt coral life light from a torn down 20 fully planted tank.

I need some advice on what light to use on this tank which is a 38 gallon.

Thank you truckasauras123, I will give it time to go away.

Thanks doresy, but as you can see they are kind of stacked and will be way too time consuming to flip each one.

Schmill....I think your calculations would allow me to purchase the Hagen T5's but do you have live plants?

Doresy, what lighting do you use on your 155liter Aqua One 850 (which is 40 gallons)?
 
As mentioned, brown algae is normal in a new tank. It is actually diatoms and they feed on the silcates released from the substrate and joints of the tank. Once the food is gone, it will clear up.

As also mentioned, if you don't plan to have live plants, the lights are only for viewing the fish. Just turn them on when you're there and turn them off when you leave. The fish certainly don't need them as they will get plenty of ambient light during the daylight hours.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top