British Livebearer Association Photo's

helterskelter

Livebearer Specilest
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
6,270
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
GB
Well to day i spent all day (from 6am till 9pm) traveling and attending the BLA auction in Corby, this was a 3 hour drive for me but a day well worth the travel..

Dunchp Gave a talk on on his trip to Guatemala and it was well attended.

DSCF0461Medium.jpg

DSCF0463Medium.jpg

(sorry their dark)


After the tank the auction soon started and their was some stunning wild swords selling for £5-8 a pair as well as some stunning little Heterandria formosa selling at £10 a pair, then the guppies came to auction, they was averaging £5 a pair and the new Pink endlers was then up and i got them for £15 a pair (bargin i think) and then got a couple more slightly cheeper :)

Next i say Gill bidding and guess what dwarfgourami was bidding on the same fish, Gill won though ;)
Then guess what they was doing it again, this time gill was nice and let dwarfgourami have them

The best fish though at the auction was a pair of xiphophorus alvarezi that sold for over £25 and was a stunning pair of fish.
ok I'll post some pics now.

DSCF0465Medium.jpg

DSCF0464Medium.jpg

DSCF0466Medium.jpg

DSCF0473Medium.jpg

DSCF0475Medium.jpg

DSCF0478Medium.jpg

DSCF0483Medium.jpg


Now here is some of the best tanks your ever see, these are hand built by Brian Chittendan but he only nuils small tank's.

DSCF0487Medium.jpg

DSCF0488Medium.jpg

DSCF0460Medium.jpg


And now my new Pink endlers
DSCF0505Medium.jpg


​
 
Great stuff :) Was a great day, after we'd managed to traverse several roads which had decided to become rivers. I've broken my livebearer cherry :)
 
Won't be able to sleep tonight; I'll be hovering around my beautiful new fairweatheri in case they come to any harm. :hyper:

Got a little carried away on the xiphophorus front: have now got two pairs of pygmaeus, which need to be kept apart as one pair is wild caught, also a pair of evelynae, which naturally have to be kept apart from the pygmaeus. Yes, I can see the writing on the wall...MTS. And 2 pairs of the heterandria formosa. But at least they don't take up a lot of space.
 
fairweatheri are a beast..... but he must be happy with the size of his gonopoduim lol :):):)

He put's a guppy to shame :)


As got the Xiphophorus pygmaeus they can be difficult to start breeding but once they get going they dont eat the fry, just watch the first few though. Also not seen evelynae for a while, have fun though with them all :D
 
No he only sells at show's and auction's, he will not post tanks either, so if you can collect then he should be ok.
 
Won't be able to sleep tonight; I'll be hovering around my beautiful new fairweatheri in case they come to any harm. :hyper:

Got a little carried away on the xiphophorus front: have now got two pairs of pygmaeus, which need to be kept apart as one pair is wild caught, also a pair of evelynae, which naturally have to be kept apart from the pygmaeus. Yes, I can see the writing on the wall...MTS. And 2 pairs of the heterandria formosa. But at least they don't take up a lot of space.


Wait did I Miss something then - Who Were you yesterday.
 
Ha, just read the bag properly, it's not a wild location on the swordtails, I don't think, but just the location used to identify the form, was a bit sleepy last night. Oh well, I wasn't really after wild fish, so am just as pleased. (of course this means, I can free up another tank and have some fry space...or quarantine some more fish...mulls over evil plans....)

All the fish are just as nice today, in fact more so. One of the pygmy swords looks pregnant.

I'd read so much about the evelynae being shy and sensitive that I thought they'd be cowering under the bushes at the back, but they were right up the front this morning squabbling with the portholes over their breakfast like little pigs (Well, we're platies! What did you expect us to be? Refined?).

Even the fairweatheri (in their own special tank) seemed quite happy to eat jellied bloodworm, though I have been doing some live shopping for them this morning. Though I'm a bit uncertain about the sex of the ?male, they must develop really late or something, because the anal fin is only just pointing the other way instead of being rounded. Not what I'd been led to expect :lol: Don't think he could do much business with that. Perhaps it's just that they're so much bigger than the ticos that I think they're older than they really are. I shall watch their progress with considerable interest.

I was me, Gill. Lena. We spoke. And bid against each other... And very nice it was to meet you to.
 
You should look at his betta tank, 5 tanks with built in filter all you need to do is add a pump and filter material and off you go., also he dose the best breeding traps in the UK.

Also tell Brian you got his number from Alan in bournemouth (BLA) he should know who u mean
 
LOL just think of the nano planted tanks he could build for you Dev ;)
 
I was me, Gill. Lena. We spoke. And bid against each other... And very nice it was to meet you to.

oh ok, just misheard your username was thinking of someone else.


Pix

Duncans Talk
Picture002-4.jpg

Picture003-6.jpg

Picture004-6.jpg

Picture005-9.jpg

Picture006-6.jpg

Picture007-5.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top