Bristlenose was/is dead & question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just an update....she is dead. When I first noticed her Thursday night, I should have gotten her out. But she was moving some, and 'sucking' as her body was in the motion of 'sucking'. The next day she had moved some....so I figured that was perhaps a new spot they'd not seen yet, and lots of 'good stuff' in there to eat. But, she died. So she was stuck. And VERY stuck, as it was VERY difficult to get her out of there.

Made me think....this bristlenose only had one eye. Perhaps there was no perception....missing an eye helped her get stuck. I don't know. Would love feedback on that.

But, leads me to my next question. The male seems to be getting in and out of there ok (yesterday, when he was in there with her). But, he has two eyes. Could this have been the problem? And, if I wanted to 'fill in' that hole just in case my other one decides to get himself stuck, what should I use to fill in this hole, and do you think I even should? I've placed the wood ornament back in the tank, after getting the dead out and rinsing it well, but have buried that end, for now, deeper into the gravel so hopefully he can't get in.

Thanks

I'm so sorry - I ws sure I was going to read this and find out she was fine and now the male won't let her back in....... Was she always one-eyed?

ALASKA

Yeah, since she's been here....I didn't notice it when I bought her (there were several, and all looked healthy and lively) so I just asked for two...when I got them home, I noticed she only had one eye. So I don't know what happened....and will teach me to take a better look at my fish before I get them, as perhaps the lack of one eye helped her get herself stuck......

Thanks for the interest and support!!

Man can I say "foot in the mouth"? :crazy: Sorry about your loss :-( ..........I love BN's..........don't know what to say, except maybe take that thing out and put some driftwood in instead...............

Thanks, I had been thinking about doing that anyway...I don't have any 'real' driftwood in our tank, and had heard there are benefits to having it in there....I'll have to check into it, because I really had been thinking about it!

Angie

GrullaQuarters said:
Thanks, I had been thinking about doing that anyway...I don't have any 'real' driftwood in our tank, and had heard there are benefits to having it in there....I'll have to check into it, because I really had been thinking about it!

Angie
I am pretty sure that plecos really need driftwood in order to digest their food properly, so at least get a little one.....................

GrullaQuarters said:
I will! Thanks!

Is there a specific kind to look for? I imagine they have to be soaked for quite awhile first....they look neat, I just looked around last evening.

Thanks!
well, I have been lucky with mine.......most fish stores have already treated them by soaking them for you. You don't need to though, usually, just a good scrub and about 10 minutes of soaking in a bowl should suffice.........they leach a little tannin (I think) which is kinda yellow, but some fish like it and it usually wont hurt anyone in the tank, although it lowers the PH a little I think.

Just ask you lfs for a peice of driftwood for your plecos, and they should steer you in the right direction. I have been seeing a lot of grapevine wood for sale lately, so I guess that is fine too!

Let us know if you get some, and when! You will see your plecos instantly gravitate to it!!!! They are in love with it or something! :wub:

My baby pleco must be a retard or something because it took him almost a week to notice the driftwood and then he doensn't even care that much about it...... :alien:

Sorry about your BN....... :sad:

Silver
:*

Most reactions

Back