Bristlenose pleco + vacation questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have another question, some people say they have problems with amazon sword and bristlenose pleco eating the plant, does anyone have an experience with this?

It eats algae off the plant and sometimes damages the off leaf, but the plant overall does well.

Agree. the larger swords are unlikely to get damaged, but more delicate plants like the chain swords can be, depending upon the fish. Most sources say that BN will not harm healthy plants, but if algae is unavailable and they get hungry, they might.

oh ok, I would be scared the bristlenose eats the pennywort while I am on vacation :(

oh ok, I would be scared the bristlenose eats the pennywort while I am on vacation :(

That's a valid concern. Can you wait until you return to add the BN?

That's a valid concern. Can you wait until you return to add the BN?
I am going on vacation for one week or two multiple time every year so I don't think it would work :(

And also @Byron, what do you think I should do about the 2 harlequins rasboras? Should I get like 4-5 others or they will be fine with the hengeli?

If you have concerns about suckermouth fish starving while you are on holiday for 1-2 weeks, just have the tank lights on timers and increase the photo period by a couple of hours a day for a week before you go and while your away. The extra light will encourage algae to grow on the glass and ornaments and the fish will feed on that. When you get back from holiday, reduce the photo period back to whatever it was before.

----------
The best thing to do if you are going on holiday is to feed the fish more often for a couple of weeks before you go. This will allow them to gain some weight and build up fat reserves. Then give them a normal feed just before you go and let them starve for the time you are away.

Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding more to keep the water clean.

Clean the filter a few days to a week before you go so it is clean and working.

----------
If you are going on holiday soon, do not add any new fish until you get back. Lots of people add new fish a few days before going on holidays and come back to a tank of bodies. This happens when the new fish bring a disease with them and it shows up a few days later, by which time your in another town on vacation.

I am going on vacation for one week or two multiple time every year so I don't think it would work :(

I had thought you were getting a new BN just before going away, so that was why I asked if it could wait. Once the fish is in the tank and settled, you will have monitored its feeding habits and it won't be the issue it would with a newly acquired fish.

And also @Byron, what do you think I should do about the 2 harlequins rasboras? Should I get like 4-5 others or they will be fine with the hengeli?

Don't get new fish and then disappear for two weeks, lol. Wait until you return so you can observe the new arrivals and deal with issues if any.

If you have concerns about suckermouth fish starving while you are on holiday for 1-2 weeks, just have the tank lights on timers and increase the photo period by a couple of hours a day for a week before you go and while your away. The extra light will encourage algae to grow on the glass and ornaments and the fish will feed on that. When you get back from holiday, reduce the photo period back to whatever it was before.

----------
The best thing to do if you are going on holiday is to feed the fish more often for a couple of weeks before you go. This will allow them to gain some weight and build up fat reserves. Then give them a normal feed just before you go and let them starve for the time you are away.

Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding more to keep the water clean.

Clean the filter a few days to a week before you go so it is clean and working.

----------
If you are going on holiday soon, do not add any new fish until you get back. Lots of people add new fish a few days before going on holidays and come back to a tank of bodies. This happens when the new fish bring a disease with them and it shows up a few days later, by which time your in another town on vacation.
Ok good I will do that.

I had thought you were getting a new BN just before going away, so that was why I asked if it could wait. Once the fish is in the tank and settled, you will have monitored its feeding habits and it won't be the issue it would with a newly acquired fish.
I am going away in a month aproximativly but if necessary I could wait until the end of summer to have more time. Just to be sure what you're telling me is that when I will have monitored it's feeding habit and I go away for 2 weeks, the bristlenose pleco won't eat my plants normally?

A hungry bristlenose will eat plants, which is why I recommend increasing the photo period to encourage algae. The other thing you can do is have some smooth rocks or ornaments in a bucket of water outside. Add 1 level tablespoon of lawn or garden fertiliser for every 20 litres of water and leave the rocks/ ornaments until they get covered in algae. Then gently rinse them off and put them in the tank. It will provide an additional source of food for the bristlenose so it will be less inclined to eating the plants.

A hungry bristlenose will eat plants, which is why I recommend increasing the photo period to encourage algae. The other thing you can do is have some smooth rocks or ornaments in a bucket of water outside. Add 1 level tablespoon of lawn or garden fertiliser for every 20 litres of water and leave the rocks/ ornaments until they get covered in algae. Then gently rinse them off and put them in the tank. It will provide an additional source of food for the bristlenose so it will be less inclined to eating the plants.
That's a good idea but I think I will let down down the idea of having a bristlenose pleco I think it would stress me too much to know that a fish could just eat a bunch of plants in my tank while I am away. Do you have an Idea of a peaceful, bigger (3-4 inch max) bottom dweller?

I have always been fond of the common whiptail, Rineloricaria parva. They are fine as a solitary individual, or two or three. The length is 11-12 cm (5 inches max) but they are so narrow you really don't notice this, and their impact on the biological system is a fraction that of a BN or similar pleco. I think I've had one of these fish in a tank ever since I entered the hobby in the 1980's. The photo below is my present representative, who has entered its 12 year with me, pretty good for a fish with an average expected lifespan of 5-8 years. It's on the wood at the left, and second photo on the substrate. I also have (photo 3) one of the so-called Red Lizard Whiptails, though it is more brown than red, but I have never seen them interact at all even when they are next to each other. Avoid the "Royal" whiptails, that is a different genus and the fish are considerably larger.

There are three different species regularly offered as "Whiptail" Catfish--Rineloricaria fallax, R. lanceolata and R. parva--that have slight variations in pattern and the placement of the ventral scutes. It is also possible that some available fish may be hybrids between these three and other species. All have identical requirements in the aquarium.

Whiptails should be maintained in well-planted tanks having a small-sized gravel or sand substrate, with chunks of bogwood. Leaves can be laid on parts of the substrate. Overhead lighting should be minimal and/or diffused with floating plants. This catfish tends to remain on the substrate, but will also continually browse plant leaves, wood and rock as well as the substrate for algae and bits of food; they prefer to rest in wood crevices or under wood or rock outcrops. They do not eat plants.

Some authors have suggested moving this species (along with several others) into the genus Hemiloricaria; Planet Catfish has adopted this, but the species is taxonomically deemed valid as Rineloricaria.

Attachments

• 40g June 8 2020 (2).jpg
    40g June 8 2020 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200525_120219.jpg
    20200525_120219.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200525_120814.jpg
    20200525_120814.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 88

Most reactions

trending