Bristlenose pleco + vacation questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I am really considering getting a female bristlenose pleco. The females don't dig in the substrate like males I think do right? Also I think the females are about 3-4 inch, is that correct? I would like to know if this fish would be suitable for my tank:
-3 pearl gourami, 10 hengeli rasboras (well 8 hengeli and 2 harlequins because the pet store did a mistake), 6 bronze cory and soon some shrimps.
-55 gallon tank (4ft)
----------------------------------------------
How do I feed on a 2 week vacation? Also what is the maximum time I can go without feeding?

Oh and when people say bristlenose pleco need wood, what does it mean?

I've not come across the "digging" issue, but that doesn't mean it will or won't occur, but I wouldn't think males any more likely than females to dig. Spawning occurs on the "roof" of caves/wood and not in the substrate. No issues with the fish mentioned as tankmates.

This Ancistrus species is omnivorous, but mainly herbivore. Bristlenose plecos require some driftwood fiber in their diet (though not to the extent of Panaque sp.). To ensure healthy plecos, it is recommended that at least some driftwood be included in the aquascape. The fish graze this and it has a benefit for the intestinal tract, but is not eaten for nutrition. The tank should be well-planted with pieces of bogwood and caves made from rocks or clay flowerpots; the substrate may be of smooth gravel or sand. Floating plants are beneficial to lessen the light. Like many plecos, Ancistrus can be largely nocturnal. They will be more active during daylight hours if kept under dimmer lighting or with a good cover of floating plants.

Is it noticeable on the wood?
Wood fiber? No, it is not visible. Pleco’s take it off in very thing layers, it helps then digest their food.

I also don’t know if the females dig or not, I know for a fact that males do.

I let mine eat algae wafers, wood fibers, blanched cucumbers, and algae on the tank glass.

I have a small cave but I am not sure it's big enough. I would just put moss and anubias on it

Attachments

• 15916404836571223855033.jpg
    15916404836571223855033.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • 1591640506575205201070.jpg
    1591640506575205201070.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
I've not come across the "digging" issue, but that doesn't mean it will or won't occur, but I wouldn't think males any more likely than females to dig. Spawning occurs on the "roof" of caves/wood and not in the substrate. No issues with the fish mentioned as tankmates.

This Ancistrus species is omnivorous, but mainly herbivore. Bristlenose plecos require some driftwood fiber in their diet (though not to the extent of Panaque sp.). To ensure healthy plecos, it is recommended that at least some driftwood be included in the aquascape. The fish graze this and it has a benefit for the intestinal tract, but is not eaten for nutrition. The tank should be well-planted with pieces of bogwood and caves made from rocks or clay flowerpots; the substrate may be of smooth gravel or sand. Floating plants are beneficial to lessen the light. Like many plecos, Ancistrus can be largely nocturnal. They will be more active during daylight hours if kept under dimmer lighting or with a good cover of floating plants.
thank you for the informations

My female bristlenose never digs in the substrate, and she's active most of the day. I leave her a courgette (zuccini) overnight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back