Bristlenose not cleaning Algae

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
I seem to be growing too much algae in my tank. Only now it has become noticable. Some is brown algae and some is green. I know my bristlenose plec should eat the green but he doesn't seem to eat any of it, ever. I got a medication to rid of the algae so I'll see how that pans out, but is it normal for bristlenose plecs not to eat algae? Or is it only specific types of algae?

tnx. B)

well shoot him... (sorry Ron White moment...)

I'm not a fan of chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I have several tanks and each tends to get it's own little variation of algae. I just wipe the glass off once a week when I do water changes. If yours grows too fast for that solution I think I'd figure out where it's coming from and why it's thriving so well and address the cause.

It's mainly brown algae actually. Over all the plants, wood and glass. Except the front that I clean a lot and its only on one side. I noticed that algae thrives with flowing water and light alot. This is the green algae though. The brown - It might be too much light? I keep my nitrates under 5ppm at all times so that can't be it. Like I said, I'll check it in a week and look into it...

tnx, :thumbs:

hi there
regarding your Bplec, do you feed him sinking wafers or cocumbers ?maybe hes just full or works during lights out :)

i personally also dont like using chemical algal treatments:) i find it .... unfair ? :D hehehe and a tad bit too un-natural

Yeah I feed her algae wafers. It's just that from reading so much on the internet before I owned a BN plec they adapted the image of "algae eating machines that stop at nothing and keep your tank spotless overnight". I dunno, I see them as waste makers. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but I'd think she would clean it during night, which she doesn't. :/

I used to feed her cucumbers, but not anymore as it makes the tank dirty, however like I said earlier, I feed algae wafers. (which the clowns munch on a bit too)

Brown algae is the main threat in my tank at the moment. I haven't had a problem with my tank since the Ich Wars back in '03. (had to make it sound legendary :D )

Im surprised your BN doesnt eat brown algea.

I would check your nitrates and phosphates(if you can) first to see if these could be the source of the problem?

You said that you feed your BN algea wafers. Stop feeding him/her for a good3-4 days and see if him/her decides to start eating the brown algea.

I only put wafers in at night - maybe she favours the wafers over real algae? - The problem is there isn't much on the glass, mainly on things inside the tank. There are only 2 nice spots with algae covering it. I'll try what you recommended me, and not feed her and check how it goes.

I wouldn't put ANY food on the tank for 7 days. It won't harm any of your fish and your bristlenose will get hungry enough to eat the algae hopefully. Otos are great for brown algae BTW.

Avoid medications - they only treat the symptom, not the cause.

my bristlenose's eat algae and pellets all 9 of them(breeding pair, 8 month old baby, 6 3week old fry)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back