Bristle nosed pleco breeding....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'd spent days looking for our female bristle nose.....couldnt' find her ANYWHERE. I thought she was dead. Well, I found her last night, she had found a hole in a big piece of 'fake' driftwood....a hole I didn't even know was there. I thought she was stuck....she was in there for hours and hours.....then I started disturbing her, trying to get her to come out. I could tell by her movement she was alive, but wasn't moving from that hole. I seriously thought she was stuck.....but, instead of "fishing" her out, I decided to give her the night, see if she came out on her own, and then take action if needed.

The male was in there this morning!! Apparently there must be enough room to turn around in there, as he was head first out of the hole, or he went in backwards. I imagine the area in there is bigger too, because I haven't seen the female. I imagine she's in there.

My husband asked me how they act when the reproduce...they lay eggs, I imagine, and one guards them. Or perhaps both? I'm not really interested in breeding these, and didn't know I had a male and female until later on reading that females have no bristles.

Since I imagine the female has been in there for several DAYS, could she be protecting eggs? Do they both protect them? I don't usually see them both every day, but I'd been looking for this gal for darn near a week, which is quite unusual not to get a glimpse of her at some point. Even with the lights off, she seems not to leave her space.

I know males of most species I know of care for the eggs...just curious about these guys. Thanks for any insight. Since the male is going in and out, I imagine she's not stuck in there.

Angie

The male will only protect the eggs and will very rarely leave them. He will constantly fan the eggs to stop them going to fungus. He will look after them until they swim away from his care. This has been my experiance anyway, i hope it helps a little.

Thanks, I had figured it was the male who cared for them.....she's still in there, I hope she isn't stuck....I wouldnt' be able to get my fingers in that hole to grab her tail....

Ugh.

GrullaQuarters said:
Thanks, I had figured it was the male who cared for them.....she's still in there, I hope she isn't stuck....I wouldnt' be able to get my fingers in that hole to grab her tail....

Ugh.
I bet she isn't stuck...........I am not sure how long they take to mate, but I am sure that is what is going on. I wouldn't worry too much about her right now. Watch the male and make sure he is eating, the breeding takes it out of them. Please give us an update, okay?????

:sad: I think she's dead.

I can't get to her, I can't seem to bump her out....no movement....been in the same place, same position all day (actually since last evening...only moved in a little further, seems like.) I can see just her back and tail. No 'sucking' movement I always see on these guys.....

I think I will be attempting a body recovery tomorrow...not quite sure how I'll get her out of that hole.....but she's not been moving, or changing positions in any way, and no movement when I have moved the ornament around. The male and female never tolerated each other much...one would come, the other would go, but the male has been in and out of that hole today (in there last I checked too....).

I don't know. I believe she has been in there for at LEAST 24 hours, perhaps much longer, as I've not been able to find her. But she was moving last night when I would disturb the fake wood ornament she is in.

Ugh.....I love watching and caring for our fish....I just don't like recovering any dead bodies! Second one now.....we had a crazy pictus catfish get lodged inside a tall cave we have in there......ugh.

Most reactions

Back