Brine Shrimp Hatchery

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mornin guys and gals.

im hoping to have some baby angels within the week and apparently i need loads of BS to feed em.

does anyone have a link or could explain how i go about setting up my own supply/hatchery?

thanx in advance :)

EDIT - do i jus buy one of these??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRINE-SHRIMP-HATCHER...1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Continuous-brine-shr...1QQcmdZViewItem

if so which is best?

I have tried all sorts of ways to hatch and feed brine shrimp to my fish, I first tried the coke bottles method, but it is just to hard IMO to remove the shells from the napuli, so I then found a hatchery from San Fransisco Bay Company it is just a black box with a hole in the lid and a clear jar on top, filled with fresh water the bs attracted to the light go up into the freshwater in the cup where they stay. I used 2 in conjunjuction with each other so that I had a constant of supply for the fry. The product is by San Fransisco Bay Brand and is called the Shrimpery. I do not know if they are available in the UK however. My new brine shrimp hatching love however is a dish from Germany that does a fantastic job of hatching and removing egg shells from the baby brine shrimp I found it here: http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/store.cfm...27377&do=detail Again I use two in tandem to remove the lag of not having bbs for the fry. I could not be happier with the results of this dish, but again I don't know if it is available in the UK.

Rez B)

Thanx tolak.

your pinned angel spawning post is my bible at the moment!

think youll be able to answer this (if your still around).

some of the eggs look alot whiter and rounder than the others.

are these the good eggs and the rest will go?

also, if its been a good 12 hours since they laid and there still looking afta the eggs well.

are they safe from being eaten?

and lastly.

will the fry get eaten when there out the eggs? by my other fish?

thanx again.

crappy pic but i think you can see a bit.

15012006.jpg

thanx rez.

havent seen anything like that in the UK yet but i found these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterlife-shelless-b...1QQcmdZViewItem

shell-less brine shrimp eggs.

would that eliminate the problem you had?

thanx rez.

havent seen anything like that in the UK yet but i found these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterlife-shelless-b...1QQcmdZViewItem

shell-less brine shrimp eggs.

would that eliminate the problem you had?
[/quote]

It sure would, but decapsulated brine shrimp are much more expensive than the regular kind and the contraptions I mentioned earlier work very well for me. :) There is a process you can do yourself to decapsulate brine shrimp from their eggs, but it uses harsh chemicals like bleach and I don't want that anywhere near my fish :crazy: look online though I am sure they tell you how the process works to decapsulate the shrimp from the eggs yourself if you feel that that is an option for you.

Rez B)

Bright white means infertile, many times the pair will pick these off. Fertile eggs are off white, like a light cream color.

The pair will defend the eggs as best they can, it helps to leave a small light on at night. A lamp on a small table next to the tank works well. Many fish, especially plecs, will try to sneak in & eat the eggs at night.

The other fish wil try to eat the eggs, wigglers, or fry once they are swimming. Sometimes the parents will eat them, out of fear that some other fish will eat them. Some pairs parent raise great from the beginning, some never learn, they are all individuals in that respect.

If this batch doesn't make it don't worry they will spawn again in a week or two. I never pull the first spawn or two, they are usually weak. It usually takes a pair a few tries to get it right, they need a little practice at first. I just had a couple of blacks that I was growing out pair up & spawn, smallest angels I've ever seen pair up. They are barely half dollar size, in a tank with some angels that are a week away from being auctioned. Spawned on the cord for the heater, first time for that. I put in a divider to keep the other fish away, and set up a clamp light to keep the tank lit. If this spawn does ok, I may pull the next one, or just give the pair to a friend of mine who recently lost his black female.

Here's a pic of the spawn, you can see the color of the eggs on the cord, if they are bright white like the filter intake, they are infertile.

dsc0096910li.jpg

Here's a pic of a silver male, this was the second spawn I believe.

dsc001101iu.jpg

id say about a quarter were infertile then.

think ill leave em too it this time then but for nxt time.

if they spawn then i move the plants or whateva they spawn on and the angels to another tank, would they be ok with that?

dnt kno if fish are smart enough to kno i did it for there own piece and quiet or whether i would jus be disturbing them and then theyd eat them or give up.

they did seem to panic a bit when i turned the lights off last nite but i have moonlights and they did seem to calm down again after a minute or two.

think ill try catching the 30+ plattys fry i have which are in the duo deep tank i have.

didnt even want them in there, jus moved a stressed platty over to giv her a break and she had babies overnight so i was kinda stuck.

they can go in my hex tank tho and the angels can have the big tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back