Breeding Tank

A 20 liter is a bit small, especially for that type of fish

Why not look into 40 gallon breeder tanks?

-FHM
 
you could get one of those massive plastic tubs
 
Here in the US, there are specially made 40 gallon breeder tanks, and they are really nice! The bigger the better.

20 liters is a bit small though. These fish will not breed until they are around 2 inches in length, and can produce up to 50 - 100 off spring. So, you can see ehy a 20 liter tank would be a bit small. I guess it all depends on how long you keep the fish in the tank; like when they get bigger they need to be re-homed.

But I would look at a tank bigger than 20 liters.

-FHM
 
Here in the US, there are specially made 40 gallon breeder tanks, and they are really nice! The bigger the better.

20 liters is a bit small though. These fish will not breed until they are around 2 inches in length, and can produce up to 50 - 100 off spring. So, you can see ehy a 20 liter tank would be a bit small. I guess it all depends on how long you keep the fish in the tank; like when they get bigger they need to be re-homed.

But I would look at a tank bigger than 20 liters.

-FHM


Oh sorry i didn't explain it very well , whats happened is my bristlenose are spawning in a community tank and i am unsure whether or not the fry will be eaten. So i was after a tank to put the fry in on a temporary basis until they are big enough to sell/give away.
 
In that case, why not look into a breeder net?

-FHM
 
How many fry are they producing?, the bare minimum for a pair of breeding BN's without fry would be 60l-2foot even that's a little small. The fry yes will be fine in the 20-30l for the matter of weeks. When and what size do you plan on selling them at?, at least a 2 foot tank IMO would be literally minimum, even though babies, they still produce an unbelievable amount of waste. Something else to consider when thinking on such a small tank and what the filtration will be like.
 
In that case, why not look into a breeder net?

-FHM


I thought they might be a bit too small so I was thinking I should put them in a separate tank?

Maybe a breeder net will do then thanks
 
How many fry are they producing?, the bare minimum for a pair of breeding BN's without fry would be 60l-2foot even that's a little small. The fry yes will be fine in the 20-30l for the matter of weeks. When and what size do you plan on selling them at?, at least a 2 foot tank IMO would be literally minimum, even though babies, they still produce an unbelievable amount of waste. Something else to consider when thinking on such a small tank and what the filtration will be like.


The bristlenose that are breeding are in a 180 litre tank now and I dont want to move them into another tank or anything just the fry.

I don't know how many fry they are producing yet as its the first batch of eggs I've had. Thanks for the advice ill have a look about.
 
Yeah, a breeder net can hang right in your main aquarium, which would eliminate setting up a new aquarium. And when they get big enough, you can sell them off. You might want to look into getting more than one breeder net. If they are anything like here in the US, they are really small nets.

-FHM
 
Yeah, a breeder net can hang right in your main aquarium, which would eliminate setting up a new aquarium. And when they get big enough, you can sell them off. You might want to look into getting more than one breeder net. If they are anything like here in the US, they are really small nets.

-FHM


Thanks for your help :good:

I've only ever seen really small nets, ill get a couple to be safe
 
BNs will easily produce over 100 fry. I would still be thinking in terms of that 40 breeder or a similar sized tank to hold a full batch of BN fry and have them grow big enough to sell.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top