Breeding pearl gouramis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ian A

Reaction score
I have one male and two female pearl gourami. One of the females is clearly very pregnant bulging significantly on both sides . I only have one aquarium c 90 litres and whilst it has plenty of real foliage some reaching the tank top I donā€™t really have the means to separate the parents . Is there any hope for successfully rearing babies here or should I just expect it to not work out . Only other fish in it currently are a few harlequins and a few Cory catfish plus a bristlenose .I Could get a breeding trap if itā€™s going to help but seems like the eggs reaching maturity is the main issue .Thanks for any guidance .

The Corydoras and bristlenose won't normally touch the eggs or fry. Harlequins will eat baby fish. The adult gouramis don't normally eat their eggs or young if they are well fed. In fact the male gourami builds a bubblenest and looks after the eggs and young for the first few weeks of their life.

You can use a plastic storage container as a rearing tank for baby fish.

Ok thanks Colin, that sounds positive, Iā€™ll get a breeding trap so ready in case the eggs hatch although interesting as it will be to rear baby gourami, Iā€™ll need to rehome them I suppose as the tank isnā€™t really big enough for more of that species . Fingers crossed

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back