Breeding Peacock Gudgeons

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Neil Mani

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I recently picked up 2 peacock gudgeons(m&f) so they can breed. Though, I was not exactly sure how to do it. I wanted some what f a challenge because I successfully bred bettas and guppies with ease. Is their a specific or recommended way to do it. What should the water parameters be and any other useful information. Thank you.

soft water (GH under 150ppm). pH around 7.0.

feed them a variety of frozen and live foods.

have a few caves, pvc pipe, etc in there and let them go for it.

Also, each time I try to directly feed them bloodworms, they swim away. Is it that their really shy being in a new tank or what?

Half flower pots are fine.

The fish might take a few days to learn where the food is and to take it. They might not be used to eating that particular food and you should try different types of food. You can also contact the supplier and ask them what they were feeding the fish. Normally they will start to eat within a day or two.

When I has peacock gudgeons I found that the tighter the fit the more they preferred it. I even had one pair spawn in the quarantine tank in a tiny plant pot less than 1 inch across the open end. In their main tank I used lengths of PVC pipe just wide enough for a full adult male to fit inside. I don't know how they managed it, but they spawned inside that.

Sorry for responding so late. Thanks for the help. I noticed when I left the blood worms on the sand, it would disappear the next day. I have 4 kuhli loaches in the tank. Do you think they are eating the worms or is the gudgeons eating them.

The Khuli loaches will definitely eat bloodworms and the gudgeons might be too. You might have to cut the bloodworms into smaller bits for the gudgeons. I use a pr of scissors to do this.

If the gudgeons are eating, they should have fat little stomachs.

The Khuli loaches will definitely eat bloodworms and the gudgeons might be too. You might have to cut the bloodworms into smaller bits for the gudgeons. I use a pr of scissors to do this.

If the gudgeons are eating, they should have fat little stomachs.
Thanks for telling me! I now see the gudgeons eat flakes out in the open. They even ate when I target fed them!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back