Breeding Paradise Gouramis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

living_dead

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a pair of these lovely fish and would like to try to breed them. I have heard that you lower the water and increase the temp slightly to induce the mating. The male is always flaring at the female, but I think there are to many fish in the tank for him to make a nest. But I am thinking about getting another tank for the mto breed in. How would I go about getting these beauties to breed? Thanks for the help

living_dead said:
I have a pair of these lovely fish and would like to try to breed them. ......How would I go about getting these beauties to breed?
Hi Living_Dead :)

I've never tried to raise paradise fish, but I've had luck with gouramis and I think they should be pretty much the same.

If so, they will probably breed for you with no problems. The harder part is raising the fry, so be prepared with tiny live food before you begin. Here's a link you might want to check out:

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/

They will be very small at birth and must have something smaller than powdered flake food. You can't feed the liquid fry food because it will make a coating on the surface of the water and you cannot let that happen because it will interfere with the development of their labyrinths.

That is the most important thing to prepare for if you plan to breed them. :nod:

As for the actual breeding, just set up a small, planted tank the way you normally would. Be sure there is somewhere the female can wait while the male makes the nest and/or escape to if he gives her trouble. You can have gravel which will make it easy to cycle before you start. (The fry stay at the top so you can clean it if it becomes necessary.)

I don't think you have to lower the water or change the temperature to get them to breed; once they have a tank to themselves it should be no problem. When you have the tank ready, introduce the female a day or two ahead of the male so that he will be going into what he thinks of as "her" territory, not the other way around.

I like to condition the pair on live bloodworms for a week or two before breeding.

Good luck! :thumbs: Please let us know how it goes if you do breed them!

Here is somethin that i copied and pasted from another site

These fish are easy to breed. They need a medium to large tank, filled ½ full with water. There must be some hiding spots for the female to get away from the male. Provide floating plants or a piece of Styrofoam, for the male to build the bubble nest at the surface. No air stones or filtration is needed as it will break up the bubble nest. The temperature of the breeding aquarium should be 26º C. The male wraps himself around the female at which time the eggs are released. The eggs float up into the bubble nest. The female should be removed right after spawning. The male should be removed when the fry go free swimming.

Now you say that there in a community tank. I would put them in a 10 gallon tank at least if you want them to breed. I have bread Blue gouramis and by what ive read it sounds very much the same. Most gouramis breed the same way and it is very easy. Paradise Gouramis are one the most beatiful gouramis i have ever seen. Good Luck..

Most reactions

Back