What's new

Breeding my dwarf gourami? Please help

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I currently have a 55 gallon tank with 2 siamese algae eaters, 1 male dwarf gourami, 2 mystery snails, and (once they've completed my quarantine) ~9 harlequin rasboras. I have future plans for the tank but for now I'm really enjoying the fish I have. My family in particular loves Wally, the rainbow dwarf gourami. He's surprisingly pleasant and shows very little aggression. I recently began wondering if I added a female to the tank if they would breed. I don't think anything in the tank would eat the fry and it would bring much joy to have some babies around. The tank is pretty well planted. Any thoughts or advice?

Everything in the tank would eat the baby fish, except the snails and the parents. Power filters also suck them up.

If you want to breed dwarf gouramis, set up a 2 foot tank and put a pair in it. Have lots of plants, in particular floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictorides/ cornuta).
Have an air operated sponge filter.
A thin layer of gravel.
A heater and coverglass.

Feed the fish 3-5 times per day with a variety of dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods. Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding more often so the tank stays clean.

Let the fish breed. The male builds a bubblenest on the surface among the floating plants. The female lays eggs that get fertilised by the male and then put in the bubblenest. The male guards the nest and looks after the babies for the first few weeks.

The babies need very small food like infusoria, green water or boiled egg yolk. The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish. Most cultures take a month or more to get going so you need to start them well before you breed the fish.

-----------------------
If you get a female gourami, quarantine her for a month so she hopefully doesn't introduce any diseases into your main tank. Same deal with any new fish.

Everything in the tank would eat the baby fish, except the snails and the parents. Power filters also suck them up.

If you want to breed dwarf gouramis, set up a 2 foot tank and put a pair in it. Have lots of plants, in particular floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictorides/ cornuta).
Have an air operated sponge filter.
A thin layer of gravel.
A heater and coverglass.

Feed the fish 3-5 times per day with a variety of dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods. Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding more often so the tank stays clean.

Let the fish breed. The male builds a bubblenest on the surface among the floating plants. The female lays eggs that get fertilised by the male and then put in the bubblenest. The male guards the nest and looks after the babies for the first few weeks.

The babies need very small food like infusoria, green water or boiled egg yolk. The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish. Most cultures take a month or more to get going so you need to start them well before you breed the fish.

-----------------------
If you get a female gourami, quarantine her for a month so she hopefully doesn't introduce any diseases into your main tank. Same deal with any new fish.
Is there anyway to breed fish in a tank with other fish? I suppose I could put them in my 20 long
Could I put a female into the tank anyways? Even if they don't end up breeding it'd be nice to have a pair.

In New Zealand female dwarf Gourami's are hard to get hold of. If you find one, as above you need to have the female and male in their own tank. Only breed Gourami's if you have somewhere to put the fry. Most Gourami's will lay hundreds of eggs. When I bred Kissing Gourami's I ended up with 2000 young fish that I had to get rid of. It's not uncommon to raise between 100 and 300 young. So think about it carefully.

Dwarf cichlids would breed and they offer protection to their young so some usually survive. Google Apistogramma cichlids, in particular Apistogramma cacatuoides, they are one of my favorites.

Yes you can put a female dwarf gourami in your tank, just try to quarantine it first.

Dwarf cichlids would breed and they offer protection to their young so some usually survive. Google Apistogramma cichlids, in particular Apistogramma cacatuoides, they are one of my favorites.

Yes you can put a female dwarf gourami in your tank, just try to quarantine it first.
I actually was planning on getting a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides just didn't know when. I'll have to find some

In New Zealand female dwarf Gourami's are hard to get hold of. If you find one, as above you need to have the female and male in their own tank. Only breed Gourami's if you have somewhere to put the fry. Most Gourami's will lay hundreds of eggs. When I bred Kissing Gourami's I ended up with 2000 young fish that I had to get rid of. It's not uncommon to raise between 100 and 300 young. So think about it carefully.
Alright. I'm thinking I'm just going to add a female to the 55. If they do breed most if not all of the fry will be eaten anyways

I started this thread forever ago but, update, I found a female and after 2 months in quarantine, she's in the 55!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back