Breeding My Discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Zante said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not impatient, I just want to learn more.

I've been feeding them my recipe of discus food soaked with vitamins once a day and live food (bloodworms, tubifex and daphnia) twice a day. Do you think artemia would be better?
Obviously they will do what they want to a certain extent. Also it's unlikely to get them to lay eggs any quicker than 14 days between spawns. If it's been longer than that since they last laid eggs try only feeding live food. Not too much though, or they will get preoccupied on feeding. Morning and midday feeds only, as they will generally spawn in the afternoon/evening, and feeding them will only disturb any mating. If you see them starting to clean their spawning cone, then leave them undistirbed. If mine see movement they will stop, as they think they are going to get fed.

Usual sequence is some mild cleaning of the spawning site the day before they lay eggs, and some constant strong cleaning the following day, then they will lay their eggs. When I see them cleaning their cone I don't bother feeding them......they don't need it.

Your pair have laid eggs before and will do it again for sure. Patience is key ;)

Yeah, patience is the key, but it's hard sometimes to be patient

Reminders help :)

Zante said:
Yeah, patience is the key, but it's hard sometimes to be patient
Reminders help :)
I know mate. I am the same, and can't help myself checking on them! Just trust me on this one tip.... When they start to lay eggs leave them alone for the night. The female will lay the eggs no matter what, but the man fish is easily distracted, and then he won't do his deed!!! Do you have your tank in a quiet place? If not I would say cover the front, as they don't need to see the outside world.

There have been times that I have seen my fish start to lay eggs and then some movement outside has distracted them and they have stopped, or eaten the eggs.

I am an avid fan of covering the eggs with a wire mesh, after the eggs are laid(late that night or following morning). You can find the mesh to make it at car body repair suppliers, or halfords, etc. Just be sure the holes in the mesh are big enough for the parents to easily see and fan the eggs.

Best of luck

DevotedToDiscus said:

Do you have your tank in a quiet place? If not I would say cover the front, as they don't need to see the outside world.

It's in my bedroom. Where I wtch TV, listen to music and have all the other tanks.

I have wrapped a black towel around the tank, so visual stimuli are out (except from a corner where they can see the reef)

What about sound stimuli?
Should I tiptoe around my bedroom?

Zante said:
Do you have your tank in a quiet place? If not I would say cover the front, as they don't need to see the outside world.

It's in my bedroom. Where I wtch TV, listen to music and have all the other tanks.

I have wrapped a black towel around the tank, so visual stimuli are out (except from a corner where they can see the reef)

What about sound stimuli?
Should I tiptoe around my bedroom?
No I don't think they will be bothered by noise

Thanks for your advice.

DevotedToDiscus said:
Wrigglers are now a wriggling!

fish.gif
fish.gif
fish.gif
fish.gif
good.gif

Paradise3 said:
Yay! How are the parents dealing with it?
smile.png
Attacking me when I was cleaning the tank!!! The wrigglers are behind the wire, which is annoying for the parents as they are desperate to gather them all up, but that's a good sign. Some good maternal instincts going on. 
yes.gif

I'll post a short video over the weekend.

Aww bless them! I know you were having trouble with the parents eating them which is why you put the wire over the cone when the eggs were laid isn't it? :)

Paradise3 said:
Aww bless them! I know you were having trouble with the parents eating them which is why you put the wire over the cone when the eggs were laid isn't it?
smile.png
Buy the time the fry go free swimming the bond is too strong for them to eat them, so the wire keeps them safe until that time. I think sometimes they actually eat them by accident when they are trying to clean and move the wrigglers with their mouths. They have been really attentive, so the signs are good 
thumbs-up.gif

DevotedToDiscus said:

Aww bless them! I know you were having trouble with the parents eating them which is why you put the wire over the cone when the eggs were laid isn't it?
smile.png
Buy the time the fry go free swimming the bond is too strong for them to eat them, so the wire keeps them safe until that time. I think sometimes they actually eat them by accident when they are trying to clean and move the wrigglers with their mouths. They have been really attentive, so the signs are good 
thumbs-up.gif

I did wonder if that was true or not... I've heard the thing about the bond being too strong once they are swimming a few times but never thought it's true as I've heard of Kribs eating their free swimming fry before but always thought that was our of fear and thinking it was best if the fry were eaten :)

I've also heard of them eating them by accident and my rams did that I think... Over the course of about 30 hours the eggs disappeared slowly until their were none left but the parents were being so careful with them and keeping all other fish(including my plec) away so either they got fed up or they ate them by accident.

One problem is they try to remove bad eggs, as they can infect the good eggs. When they do this they end up eating the good eggs by mistake. I treat the eggs so that the bad eggs won't hurt the good ones, so they can stay there. They also naturally want to move the wrigglers, as in the wild this helps to hide them from preditors. The problem with this is they can move them to a bad place. I had them move the wrigglers before and put them on a sponge filter, which ended up killing the fry. So the wire is a good thing... IMO. Sunday or Monday is swimming lesson day for the wrigglers..... Arm bands, water wings, floats and noddles optional.

Hmm... maybe I should prepare some mesh for my spawning cone, so I have it ready when the moment comes.

Zante said:
Hmm... maybe I should prepare some mesh for my spawning cone, so I have it ready when the moment comes.
I don't see any negatives with using it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back