breeding goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

macky1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
the goldfish in my pond are chasing each other a lot and seem to be nudging each other in the weeds
is this spawning or just playfullness
i thought fish only spawned in the spring time??

macky :D

*bump*

idk m8 but it certainly sounds like they might be :look:

:)

I have (had) 4 common goldfish and 4 platinum Koi in my pond. Earlier this year (April/May) I noticed fry in the pond. They are about a half inch now and are looking very much like the goldfish (minus the colour). I didn't notice the spawing but the fish are still chasing each other like crazy. I haven't noticed any further newborn fry though. I think the chasing is just high spirits!

WK

no sign of any fry yet but they are still chasing each other

should fry be removed from a pond after hatching or just left to fend for them selves :p

Depends on how many fish you want. Obviously fry left to defend themselves are going to be far fewer in number, if any survive at all. The parents will happily eat both the eggs and the small fry. My limited experience is that once the fry are over about a half inch in length they are left pretty much alone. You'll need a pond with plenty of hiding places for any to get that big though. Might be fun removing a few and tank raising them though, just for the fun of watching them turn from tiny little newborns to small goldfish.

WK

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back