Breeding Cardinal Tetra - tips please!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My most recent attempt to breed cardinals, as an experienced breeder of many species, ended in... nothing. I will get this! It may take a few dozen tries, but I will (maybe) manage this.

I had an Apisto species that didn't give fry til the 17th batch of eggs, when I finally got the water hardness right.

By 2030, I shuld be able to report success with cardinals.
lol 2030! How long have you been in the fish keeping hobby?

I had an Apisto species that didn't give fry til the 17th batch of eggs, when I finally got the water hardness right.
I presume the water was too hard and you had to make it softer; for cardinals my understanding is a bit of pure ro water with some leaves or peat to stabalize the ph is what they need but i haven't actually tried...

I had success breeding neon tetras and cardinal tetras in the past by using plants that were having small fine leaves and putting them in the dark. It was something I've tried after some failures of attempts. Someone who has bred them before gave me that tip. And it worked. And yes soft water does help.

But you can also use this:
gejoma-spaanse-mop-blauw-2.jpg

The eggs will stick to this mop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had success breeding neon tetras and cardinal tetras in the past by using plants that were having small fine leaves and putting them in the dark. It was something I've tried after some failures of attempts. Someone who has bred them before gave me that tip. And it worked. And yes soft water does help.

But you can also use this:
gejoma-spaanse-mop-blauw-2.jpg

The eggs will stick to this mop.
I'm not sure i want to wash my fish everytime they breed. I mean i know it can be messy but why not just leave them a bit dirty ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back