Brand new filter not working

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got my new tank setup and the overflow filter just rattles and doesn’t pump any water it is a topfin pf40 and I have tried taking the impeller out and putting it back in about a million times.

It probably has air trapped in the intake tube

make sure the aquarium water level is higher than the pump on the filter.

I just got my new tank setup and the overflow filter just rattles and doesn’t pump any water it is a topfin pf40 and I have tried taking the impeller out and putting it back in about a million times.

Did you fill up the filter with water?
Is the impeller sitting properly inside the filter?
Can you take a photo of the impeller and filter?

I did fill it i up with water and it looks like the impeller starts spinning one way and stops and goes the other way. And moves up and down a little. DFF95D7C-1C61-471C-91AA-77286A8668F4.jpeg

Post a pic of the whole filter, assembled....Top Fin is not known to be one of the best out there, unfortunately...but they usually work...for a while, anyway

I did fill it i up with water and it looks like the impeller starts spinning one way and stops and goes the other way. And moves up and down a little.View attachment 157101

The impeller looks good to me.
Make sure that it sits properly inside the motor(magnet part).

Check the intake tube to ensure it's being pushed down all the way and being latched in place as the impeller is not supposed to move up and down.
It's kind of difficult to explain here.
I'll try to find some videos from youtube.

IMG_20220327_235256.jpg

Last edited:
The impeller looks good to me.
Make sure that it sits properly inside the motor(magnet part).

Check the intake hose to ensure it's being pushed down all the way and being latched in place as the impeller is not supposed to move up and down.
It's kind of difficult to explain here.
I'll try to find some videos from youtube.

View attachment 157125
Yes....the filter may not be put together correctly, or completely

Also as @Colin_T mentioned, if you could hear the noise of the impeller turning, but still no water being sucked up, it could be your tank's water level is too low and the motor/pump is not strong enough to pull up the water.
Try to increase the water level of the tank.

Also check all the intake tube and the connecting parts are connected properly.

The part where the intake tube sits above the impeller/motor must be connected properly. This is the most important part because the impeller will pull the water up and it need to be connected with the intake tube for the water to be sucked up.

Lastly, make sure that the flow control knob is adjusted correctly for full flow when you first started the filter.

Last edited:
I have two of these working for about 3+ years. One of them just last week started doing the same as yours, there was an air leak going through the flow control knob. Turns out there is a small O ring just under the flow control knob that had rotted, not having a spare O ring, I just siliconed the area around it while in the open position. Works like a champ now. Bottom line, there should not be any air going through the intake tune. Did you try turning the flow control?

Most reactions

Back