Brackish Water....aquarium Salt....

dragongoby101

New Member
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys! I just started a brackish water tank and I was told that I could use aquarium salt. I have a 28g tank and I was wondering how much of the aquarium salt to use. I followed the instructions that are with the salt itself but I wasn't sure if that was just a basic rule for a regular aquarium and if I should add more than 1 Tbs for every 5g.....any help is appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Danielle
 
Unfortunately you were told wrong, you cant use aquarium salt.

You need marine aquarium salt :good:.
 
Unfortunately you were told wrong, you cant use aquarium salt.

You need marine aquarium salt :good:.

Thank you so much! I can safely assume then if the box says only Aquarium Salt it is the wrong kind.....can I add marine salt to water that already has aquarium salt in it or will that cause a problem?

Thanks again!
 
If you added 1 table spoon per 5 gallons, no problems. That amount doesn't even do anything :good: .
 
Download my Brack Calc application for Mac/Windows, and you can see precisely how much salt (in weight) you need to get a certain salinity (or SG). Do bear in mind that once the box of salt is opened it absorbs moisture, so any method of adding salt by weight or volume becomes increasingly inaccurate. As a guideline, a low-end system (SG 1.005) takes around 9 grammes per litre and a high end system around 16 g/l (SG 1.010).

Cheers, Neale
 
Download my Brack Calc application for Mac/Windows, and you can see precisely how much salt (in weight) you need to get a certain salinity (or SG). Do bear in mind that once the box of salt is opened it absorbs moisture, so any method of adding salt by weight or volume becomes increasingly inaccurate. As a guideline, a low-end system (SG 1.005) takes around 9 grammes per litre and a high end system around 16 g/l (SG 1.010).

Cheers, Neale

Thank you Neale! I purchased a hydrometer and my salt content is now 1.002....I heard that was a good salinity for brackish tanks. I appreciate your help! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top