Bottom Dwellers with Flora Base Pro Substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm new to aquarium keeping, I recently bought a Fluval Flex 57l and used Flora Base Pro substrate with a few plants and some driftwood. I started with Harlequin Rasboras and was intending to introduce some tetras and Corydoras down the line (now leaving the tetras and increasing the school size of Rasboras), but from research, it seems this substrate may not be good for them and sand is suggested for them.

I've tried my best at searching the internet for suggestions but am struggling, so hopefully, someone can help.

What bottom-dweller fish would do well with this type of base? Are shrimps/and or snails my only option?

Thanks again.

could you let us know the GH (general hardness) and PH of your water please? I assume you use tap water and so this information should be available to you from your water supplier's website. Different fish thrive in different parameters.
Meanwhile I'll have a read up on that flora base pro substrate.

All Corydoras do require a fine smooth sand substrate. Not only is there a barbel erosion issue, but they are by nature filter feeders, taking in a mouthful of sand, filtering out food, swallowing the food (with some sand usually) and expelling most of the sand through the gills. Rough substrate material can obviously cause serious issues, and larger grain sized material cannot be filtered.

Another issue with many plant substrates is bacteria. Sand is a better substrate for the normal decomposition of organics. Ingredients in plant substrates may be detrimental here too. And most of these are too rough (regardless of how it feels in your hand, I fell into this trap some years ago and nearly decimated my cories).

The roughness aspect and the bacteria would be relevant to any substrate fish. Some suggest a cap of sand over the plant substrate, but water movement, thermal currents and fish digging usually mix these before very long, and sand being the finer grain will naturally sink to the bottom regardless.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

And I agree with the previous post about water parameters.

could you let us know the GH (general hardness) and PH of your water please? I assume you use tap water and so this information should be available to you from your water supplier's website. Different fish thrive in different parameters.
Meanwhile I'll have a read up on that flora base pro substrate.

Thanks, from the website it is listed as hard, no actual measurement parameter I can see from the water report. PH level of water in the tank is 6.8

Thanks, from the website it is listed as hard, no actual measurement parameter I can see from the water report. PH level of water in the tank is 6.8
We need to know the GH and KH of your water. Google it, or call/visit your local water provider.

We need to know the GH and KH of your water. Google it, or call/visit your local water provider.

Done a strip test, going off of that the tap water is GH 250 and KH 120.

Your water does not match well with most Corydoras species. Panda Cory Cats need 36 - 215 ppm and Julii Cory Cats need 36 - 215 ppm as well.

Not sure what other options there are. I looked at SF Pepper Cory and Emerald Cory profiles, but they had "Up to 12°H". I couldn't find out how to convert that. @Byron will have to take it from here.

Your water does not match well with most Corydoras species. Panda Cory Cats need 36 - 215 ppm and Julii Cory Cats need 36 - 215 ppm as well.

Not sure what other options there are. I looked at SF Pepper Cory and Emerald Cory profiles, but they had "Up to 12°H". I couldn't find out how to convert that. @Byron will have to take it from here.

Thanks for the reply, I've ruled corydoras out already though due to my substrate, trying to see what my options are for other bottom dwellers, if any.

Thanks for the reply, I've ruled corydoras out already though due to my substrate, trying to see what my options are for other bottom dwellers, if any.
Oh, ok, wasn't aware...

I did a quick search on Otocinclus Catfish and they need no more than around 130ppm. Both Black and Kuhili Locahes need 0 - 143 ppm. You have a high GH my friend. @Byron may have some oddballs he can suggest. Good luck! :)

You could try softening your water with RO water. I have moderately hard water but I add RO water to my tetra tank to soften the water for them. It does involve more work to maintain your tank.

Would bumblebee goby be ok with black Limpopo sand? My waters 19dh So unsuitable for Corys until I start RO which will be a year or so down the line.
yep, totally good.
Just be sure to check into their care as gobies can be a bit tricky with feeding

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back