Boiling Driftwood

bordercollie05

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Texas, USA
I've got a piece of driftwood that I collected at the local creek. I would really like to use it, but I'm not quite sure how to make it fish-safe. I know boiling or baking it is usually recommended, but it's about 4' long, so I'm not sure how to do it. I thought that at one point I'd seen some sort of sealant that you can cover it with to make it safe....does this exist and if so, what would I look for? Any ideas?


Laura
 
You can pour boiling water over it couple times. That's what i had done with mine, also my water heater puts out water close to 100 degrees. I used that before boiling it. I have also heard of people baking the wood although you said its over 4' and i don't think you have a oven that large. I have never heard of a sealant but worth looking into.
 
I guess your only option is to pour boiling water over it, and then put up with the tannins in the tank (which fish like anyways). That's what I would do, though where I'd ever find a 4f long driftwood (*drool*) in the first place, I just don't know.
 
Place it in the bath - thats what Ive done and fill up with as hot a water as you can get from your tap and give it a good scrub and soak for a few days.
 
Place it in the bath - thats what Ive done and fill up with as hot a water as you can get from your tap and give it a good scrub and soak for a few days.

I agree with Minx by far the easiest way ive done all my wood like this. Gives off an interesting smell too
 
Just thought I would chip in with my experience of this situation.

I once was in the same boat. What I did was cut the wood into several pieces (with clean cuts) do your boiling, then I used those double ended screws and screwed the pieces together.
make sure you use water resistant screws!

Good luck!
 
Wow, thanks guys, those are all great ideas! Last night I let it soak in the tub overnight after dumping hot hot water on it. But I don't think my roommates will appreciate me leaving it there for days.

Was it hard to get it back together with the screws after cutting it up? That seems like a great idea.

Laura
 
You can put activated carbon in the filter which will remove the tannins.
I have the same problem and I keep meaning to get some!

I read somewhere it takes away the colour and leaves your water crystal clear in an hour.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top