Bogwood

PlatinumAngel

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario Canada
I'm trying to decide if I want to put in bogwood in my tank. I've heard good and bad, what do you guys think? Will it stain or alter anything in my tank?
The tank right now is empty but looking to put maybe dwarf chiclids once it's done cycling
 
It will have a tendency to lower your pH. It can also leach tannins that will tint your water slightly yellow. The tint is a simple aesthetic thing, if you like it you do and if not you can use carbon to remove it. The effect on pH is harder to rpedict. If you have a high buffering potential in the water, it won't move pH much but if you have very soft water it can have a big impact.
 
I have put bog wood in my tank and all my other tanks I have had in the past have had bog wood in and I quite like the tinning of the water as it does not alter the clarity of the water or it hasnt in mine and the lowering of the ph I have put bicarbonated sodar in my tank to raise the buffer in wich also raised the ph and I have had to get some ph down addative because mine was to high so if the bog wood lowered youre ph you could get it back up with the bicarb. :thumbs:
 
I have wood in every tank I own... I don't know what I would do without it! It looks natural, gives your tank more depth, gives a place for fish to hide, easy to change around for a different look, can add plants to them... the pros are practically endless!

The only downside is the tannins... and honestly, if you kept up with water changes, you can hardly notice, except for when you first put them in your tank. :good:

Go for it.
 
I've got wood...

In all of my tanks! Nothing beats a nice piece of bogwood covered in healthy anubias and moss for a tank decoration
 

Most reactions

Back
Top