Blue Swordtails

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Does anybody know much about these fish, are they relatively rare? How much would you look to pay for a juvenile ad how much for the average adult?

Many Thanks.
 
honestly, Ive never seen a blue swordtail, and have never heard of them. Pic??

**Edited for near fatal spelling error...** :crazy:

**Second edit: Oh wait are you talking about Xiphophorus nigrensis??These dwarf swordtails are rarely, seen in retailers. 6.10cm max length...min 20 gallons.**
 
Oh wait are you talking about Xiphophorus nigrensis??These dwarf swordtails are rarely, seen in retailers.

Nigrensis were the ones i knew about but the ones i saw yesterday were slightly different, more yellowy with a blue sword, could be a cross breed but they were only 8 - 12 weeks old so maybe they hadn't developed there true colours yet.

I'm setting up a couple more tanks at the mo, should be ready in a week or so. Any opinions on having these as a breeding project would be greatly appreciated.
 
Since they are rare I would assume that they would be profitable...but I personally dont have them so Id rather not give advice on breeding them. Sorry, but I wont pretend to know something I dont...I let the fish stores do that lol...^_^

If I were you I would google my heart out lol.
 
thanks for your replies. Not much info out there though.

Does anybody know the average retail price for these little beauties?
 
OMFG! Your lfs has a blue lyre st? (I think thats what its a called)

Lucky! They're the same as swordtails, just look it up.

It's like, just different coloured. (Not dyed, i believe.)

My lfs sells neon swordtails for 5$ ea. seems like a ripoff.

What does yours sell for?
 
not sure yet, i think we may be talking about different fish. I haven't ID'd them properly yet but they said blue swordtails at the shop, i'm going back tomorrow to see if they are indeed X. Nigrensis - if so they are quite a find.
 
xiphophorus nigrensis is a delicate swordtail it requires good water quality
i keep mine in a large tank with plenty of plants for fry to hide .
if the adults are well fed they leve ther fry alone. i keep them at 68- 72f
do large partial water changes at leest once a week. they are best fed on live foods
males of this species come in 3 different size mophs.i dont know hew to post photo on here.
( i have posted a photo in rarer livebearers section.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top