Blue Phantom Pleco L128

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Steve2717

Reaction score
So I posted here a few weeks back regarding a Royal Pleco I had which unfortunately passed on but as I found out was probably for the best as the tank size would have become an issue down the line. I rushed into getting fish without knowing a lot of basic stuff and a few fish suffered for it. I think I've managed to get through it and most of my fishies are still with me. Im going to leave it a bit longer still to make sure everything is as it should be but I would like to get another pleco. I was looking through the unending lists of them and I found the Blue phantom pleco. Its a good looking fish and apparently wont turn into a behemoth. Just wondering if anyone has experience in keeping them and would they recommend?

I had one for a short time. The Blue Phantom pleco was sent to me by Wet Spot in as mixup of my order. They told me to keep it. But it would not be fair to keep it as all I had was a 35 gallon tall hex tank with a diameter of only 20 inches. So I gave it to a fellow member here for free. The short time I had it, it was always hiding..it very rarely came out in the open. Good looking pleco that gets about 7 inches long but it is very shy.

I had one for a short time. The Blue Phantom pleco was sent to me by Wet Spot in as mixup of my order. They told me to keep it. But it would not be fair to keep it as all I had was a 35 gallon tall hex tank with a diameter of only 20 inches. So I gave it to a fellow member here for free. The short time I had it, it was always hiding..it very rarely came out in the open. Good looking pleco that gets about 7 inches long but it is very shy.
My tank is 1.8m long but only 30cm front to back. I think 7inches should be able to move around ok. The Royal I had would have grown to about 17inches so wouldn't have been fair. I read a Blue Phantom needs 20gallon minimum so since mine works out at around 57gallon, do you think I could get away with a couple of them, maybe a male and a female?

I've never kept any types of common pleco. but i do keep the bristlenose plecos and if you were looking for smaller species of plecos like super red longfins and so many more good luck.

I have a pair of L128 in a 29; they are young. They also don't really hide much - but frequently i can't find them (my tank has extremely dense planting); but when i put something in the front they like they have no problem going there and munching in the open. They aren't adult yet so can't comment much more - another nice pleco is L204 - they have been mixed for me with regards to skittishness but they are nice looking fishes; they are a wee bit smaller I think.

Also understand that sex makes a difference as to how often the fish is easily found - as a general rule i find females more open and males more likely to find a hard to see cave and be more nocturnal but i've only had 5 or 6 different species so i can't say this is always true.

f1.jpg

I have a pair of L128 in a 29; they are young. They also don't really hide much - but frequently i can't find them (my tank has extremely dense planting); but when i put something in the front they like they have no problem going there and munching in the open. They aren't adult yet so can't comment much more - another nice pleco is L204 - they have been mixed for me with regards to skittishness but they are nice looking fishes; they are a wee bit smaller I think.

Also understand that sex makes a difference as to how often the fish is easily found - as a general rule i find females more open and males more likely to find a hard to see cave and be more nocturnal but i've only had 5 or 6 different species so i can't say this is always true.

View attachment 169000
Yeah that’s a really cool fish i love all the bristlenose pleco especially longfin

I don't have much info on blue phantoms but I've always thought that they are really cool looking! Absolutely gorgeous species

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back