The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fawke

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Down a dark hole... Down a dark hole... with an ow
Hi there,

I have a Blue Gourami with a big attitude problem.

They are in a tank with 3 other gouramis and a pictus catfish + plec.

The 4 Gouramis used to swim around together just fine, then suddenly one day the blue one hides behind some weed and goes a dark prominant blue and springs an attack on another passing gourami!

He now regularly chases teh females (2) around the tank, to the extent that they are swimming into the glass, at speed, and really looks quite nasty.
Occasionally he will spr with the other yellow male, but alot less often.

What could of caused this change in attitude. I want to avoid taking him back, as i had grown quite fond of him.
He also seems to be courting with one of the females, occasionally, then turns on her which gives her the ache and she chases the other around the tank.

The problem is definately this blue male....

Any ideas? - more weed? lower PH (7.6) help!!?

(Tank 30" x 18" x 18")

The dominant male blue gourami will quite often lash out at the others. They are very aggressive at times and when they realize they are dominant they can be outright bullies. This may spread to other fish that occupy his space as well. I had to bring mine back :p

My male is the same way. I think it's because he's the dominant fish in the tank. If he's hurting the other fish (ripping fins), you might try and separate him from the others for awhile (put him in another tank or into a net breeder).Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Mine just chases, does no damage, but my larger female chases him around once in a while too. :rofl:

Ed

Blue gouramis are definitely the more aggressive ones of the bunch. I've never had to take any fish back, though the thought initially crossed my mind. I now have four blue gouramis (2 male, 2 female) in my 55 gallon, and everyone gets along just fine. They can be territorial at times, but it never amounts to anything more than a little nudge. If my tank was smaller, I think there would be a real problem. My tank is also densely planted, which gives the fish plenty of places to hide.

With time your blue may settle down, but it's up to you to determine how you want to proceed. Good luck.

Yea, sounds like mine......

The other male is quite placid....

He is not physically hurting them as such.... just chasing them, they dont like it, and as i said - one swam straight into the glass!! im suprised it didnt knock itslef out.

IF i were to replace it, should i get another male and hope he's a nicer character, or another female so i only have 1 male in the tank....?

No fin ripping as yet !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back