Blue Lobster Fw

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Understood, but the topic of this thread is Blue Lobster....this needs to be clear to any for informational purposes, Australian, US, UK or otherwise. SH

ah yes i see, The Redclaw has the common name Blue lobster, even though they are mostly green in colour, they do get blue as thy age. though it is a much deeper blue, than most blue morph Crays. as the request was from a UK resident. and the Redclaw, is the only legal Cray, without applying to the environment agency for special licence. this has been my focus on this thread.

Cherax quads do better at room temp rather than tropical, when their water is too warm it shortens their life span and leaves them slightly more prone to disease (they can go down as far a 12C and up to 22C, though some where in the middle is good - which is colder than tropical).

In my opinion Cherax quads are for species only tanks, as Andywg mentioned mine enjoyed his own 3ft tank for most of his life where he routinely moved everything around to the way he wanted it. They can be aggessive and fish killers, so if you don't want to risk your fish (or cray according to what fish you have) then I would never put a cherax quad in the same tank as one.

Great pets, and kept properly are enjoyable, entertaining and funny inverts.

Cherax quads do better at room temp rather than tropical, when their water is too warm it shortens their life span and leaves them slightly more prone to disease (they can go down as far a 12C and up to 22C, though some where in the middle is good - which is colder than tropical).

In my opinion Cherax quads are for species only tanks, as Andywg mentioned mine enjoyed his own 3ft tank for most of his life where he routinely moved everything around to the way he wanted it. They can be aggessive and fish killers, so if you don't want to risk your fish (or cray according to what fish you have) then I would never put a cherax quad in the same tank as one.

Great pets, and kept properly are enjoyable, entertaining and funny inverts.
I'm sure your Cray do fine but the optimal temp for Keeping redclaw is 25-28c with an extreme range of 11-32c, as spawning is triggered around 29c. not what i think, but fact!!! there is a lot of bilge talked on the net about redclaw. many sites quoting the same range as any other Cray, but they are tropical, though very hardy. and as the breading trigger is so high keeping them at lower temps, can be fine. but can not be the range they really need.

and again you make the comment about temp, as if you are stating fact, it is your opinion, as i fully dispute your figures, and so do all the breeders i have asked!

" Redclaw are native to the tropical region of northern Australia. Therefore, Redclaw grow best in relatively warm water (75 to 85F)".
" Water temperatures of below 70F significantly reduce growth".
"water temperatures below 50F are lethal".
"Research has shown that peak spawning occurred at a water temperatures of 82C and 14 hours of light".

quoted from: The United States department of agriculture. SRAC publication 244

though apparently i don't do any research! :hyper:

More importantly than tank temperature is that, if you keep your tank acidic over long periods of time, the 'lobster's' shell will soften and predispose it to infection. In order for most crays/lobsters to maintain a competent shell, they need neutral or above pH's. SH

Sorry to hijack here but ive been wanting to move mine for a while, he's not doing any harm where he is, but i got a him a nice tank all by himself, and i dont know how to move him. What would be best? My blue lobster is about 4 inches long, was thinking about picking him up with my hands but he looks a bit a pinchy :crazy: lol

I am picking up a male Cherax Quadricarinatus next week and was wondering if any aquarium plants are toxic to them, I was planning on putting Java Fern in the tank but was told that it may be toxic to Crayfish so was going to just put some Elodea pond weed in. I know it will probably eat it that's why I wanted something easily replaceable, I have plenty of Java fern and Elodea is cheap enough to buy.

More importantly than tank temperature is that, if you keep your tank acidic over long periods of time, the 'lobster's' shell will soften and predispose it to infection. In order for most crays/lobsters to maintain a competent shell, they need neutral or above pH's. SH
indeed! and i can see that reducing the temp, the Cray is kept at, will reduce the chance of bacterial infection too.

Sorry to hijack here but ive been wanting to move mine for a while, he's not doing any harm where he is, but i got a him a nice tank all by himself, and i dont know how to move him. What would be best? My blue lobster is about 4 inches long, was thinking about picking him up with my hands but he looks a bit a pinchy :crazy: lol
lol im typing this with my toes. i tried to get my cray out of the tank, :hyper: they are fast powerful and nip very hard. an answer to this would be very nice.

I am picking up a male Cherax Quadricarinatus next week and was wondering if any aquarium plants are toxic to them, I was planning on putting Java Fern in the tank but was told that it may be toxic to Crayfish so was going to just put some Elodea pond weed in. I know it will probably eat it that's why I wanted something easily replaceable, I have plenty of Java fern and Elodea is cheap enough to buy.

i cant find any reference to Java fern being harmful to cray, though that is not a definitive answer, but i can say that many people seem to have it in the tank with Crayfish.

i pay £5.95 for my redclaw and that is for the blue morph too. i have seen them at £12.00.

i cant find any reference to Java fern being harmful to cray, though that is not a definitive answer, but i can say that many people seem to have it in the tank with Crayfish.

Thanks boboboy, I have had a good look around and couldnt find anything to say Java fern is toxic either but thought I would ask anyway. I will probably stick with the Elodea for now.

lol was talking to a guy today who has a redclaw, and it loves munching Java

so has no one moved their lobster then? :blink:

kinda depends on your medical insurance :lol: :lol:
the way seems to be corner your cray with a net, when it grabs the net with its claws, slowly lift it out the tank! though i just heard another solution, Cray love to escape, so if you allow the cray to climb out it tank, most times the cray will freeze, making it easy to pick up! but i gota wait for my fingers to grow again, before i try.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back