Blue Acara/ Firemouth Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bobby2415

Reaction score
I have been debating what to stock my 55 gallon (48 x 12 x 21) with but think I have decided. Iā€™m thinking an Electric Blue Acara and Firemouth Cichlid as well as a couple large schools (12-15?) of a colorful/neat looking fish. And then probably a school of Corys. Any suggestions on what school of fish would be best with those cichlids? I know I canā€™t go too small with fear of the Cichlids eating them eventually. Would a Bleeding Heart Tetra work? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the pH and GH (general hardness) of your water?
If the pH is above 7.0 and the GH above 150ppm, you could use rainbowfish or barbs.

If the pH is below 7.0 and the GH below 150ppm, then barbs or bigger species of tetra like congo, black phantom, black widow, Beunos Aires. Bleeding heart tetras might be ok from a size perspective, but they are pretty peaceful and might get picked on. But you could try them and see how they go. If the cichlids are small to begin with and grow up with the other fishes, and they are well fed, there shouldn't be any real issues.

What is the pH and GH (general hardness) of your water?
If the pH is above 7.0 and the GH above 150ppm, you could use rainbowfish or barbs.

If the pH is below 7.0 and the GH below 150ppm, then barbs or bigger species of tetra like congo, black phantom, black widow, Beunos Aires. Bleeding heart tetras might be ok from a size perspective, but they are pretty peaceful and might get picked on. But you could try them and see how they go. If the cichlids are small to begin with and grow up with the other fishes, and they are well fed, there shouldn't be any real issues.

My pH is above 7. Iā€™m on somewhat of a smaller budget for the fish so I was thinking maybe Rosy Barbs and Black Skirt Tetras maybe? Thanks for the suggestions! I love the bleeding heart tetra but it looks like they are close to $5 a pop, which will add up if Iā€™m looking to get a dozen or so.

Rosy barbs and black skirts should be ok but get short finned (normal) rosy barbs, not long finned barbs. Same deal with the black skirts, short finned/ normal, not long finned.

Rosy barbs and black skirts should be ok but get short finned (normal) rosy barbs, not long finned barbs. Same deal with the black skirts, short finned/ normal, not long finned.

Will do thanks! Any particular reason to steer clear of the long finned ones?

Black skirt tetras are fin nippers and fish with long flowing fins are more likely to get bitten. Rosy barbs are generally peaceful but sometimes they nip fins too. Having fish with short fins will lessen the chance of fin nipping.

Black skirt tetras are fin nippers and fish with long flowing fins are more likely to get bitten. Rosy barbs are generally peaceful but sometimes they nip fins too. Having fish with short fins will lessen the chance of fin nipping.

That makes sense. So do you think a Blue Acara, Firemouth, (6) Rosy Barbs, (12-15) Black Skirt Tetras, Bristlenose Pleco, and (6) Corys would be overstocked in a 55? I have a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back