Tank size: 40l
pH: 7.5
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate: never higher than 10-20
kH: approx 100
gH: 60
tank temp: 25

Fish Symptoms: A single black phantom tetra is looking "blotchy", with small patches of opacity (NOT spots) on the body and a couple on the fin along the underneath of the tail. The body is normally a little translucent but these areas look less so, though they seem to be the same colour as its normal body colour, giving it a kind of dirty appearance. He also appeared to have what at first I thought was a white spot, and then realised was more like a damaged scale, which looked normal 24 hours later. All other aspects of behaviour are normal, eating well and not showing any unusual behaviour.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: normally twice a week, approx 30% each change, though I have upped this to every two days since the fish looked odd.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: I have treated with melafix for four days but his appearance is no different.

Tank inhabitants: Other black phantoms (which all look fine and dandy), one dwarf gourami, amano shrimp and assassin snails. Some cabomba, java moss, java fern, salvinia and hygrophila. Well soaked driftwood that's been in the tank for months with this fish.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Some new java moss and salvinia natans a few days before I noticed these symptoms, however these were well washed and quarantined for 48 hours before adding to remove pesticides that might kill shrimp (shrimp are OK.)

Exposure to chemicals: Unless something came in on the plants, I don't think so.

What is the make of the test kit you are using?

Does the blotches look like bleaching beneath the skin.

any signs of flicking and rubbing, or darting around the tank.
Excess mucas.
Any redness around the blotches.
Any red streaking in the fins.

Bleaching beneath the skin in blotches can be a disease called columnaris.

My Black Ruby Barbs occasionally look like this. I normally find that they have been getting a little over eager with each other and one has taken a bit of a beating. It could therefore be a combination of stress and battle damage? If you can, might be worth isolating it to let it recover.

In fact 40l seems a little on the small side for a shoal of these guys, so I will definitely go with battle damage as I imagine they do not have enough room to spread their wings properly.

What is the make of the test kit you are using?

Does the blotches look like bleaching beneath the skin.

any signs of flicking and rubbing, or darting around the tank.
Excess mucas.
Any redness around the blotches.
Any red streaking in the fins.

Bleaching beneath the skin in blotches can be a disease called columnaris.

There is no unusual behaviour. There is no redness or fin streaking. The appearances could be described as bleaching a little, but when the light shines through the translucent parts of the fish, the patches actually look darker.
I'm inclined to go with Fishprotector's suggestion that it might be due to injury, since the patches are not spreading, it fits with the damaged scale I noticed, and BPTs are known to have small bouts of finnicuffs with each other (even in a big tank they will defend little territories). Normally they will just display at each other but occasionally they chase, and I have observed at least one occasion where one has "head butted" another in the tail. So it may be bruising.

Ok.
Just keep a close eye on him.
Also it might be better if you could isolate him for a few days.
If anymore changes get back to the board, and we will try and help you.

Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back