Blood Worms

Fishman9188

New Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm very interested in raising my own blood worms to feed with and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has had any success with breeding them?
 
I havent tryed that yet but you can find info at aqualandpetsplus.com it does not sound to hard. Thay are acually the larve of a midge.
 
I was soaking some wood in my water butt for several weeks before I used it. When I removed it from the barrel it had some blood worms on it. Looking in the barrel I could see what looked like old casings all over the place.

You might be able to do the same. I don't think I'd like to raise them indoors incase they hatch out and you're swamped by anoying midges all over the place.

Thought about brine shrimp maybe?
 
I was just wondering because I was looking for a cheaper way to feed some of my large sharks.
 
I've heard they are hard to breed.

Be aware they're not worms. They are "fly" larva so you can have some real issues if the flies get out.
 
I had a batch of bloodworm recently that were close to pupating. I was really puzzled about where all these mossies were coming from everytime I opened my tank lid, then I realised what had happened. Gave me the creeps I can tell you! Luckily they don't bite (or so I've been told) but I wouldn't like to try breeding them *itch itch itch* :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top