Blood Worms, Black Worms

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rewlyn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i got some black worms from my lfs and was wondering about the ammonia effects from the worms from leaving them in the tank

The worms themselves (like snails or even shrimp) if still alive will not produce a noticable ammonia load at all, if that's what you're asking. But if you're talking about dead worms as excess from feeding then they will be like any other excess food or previously living material. They are composed of organic molecules and once the tissue is dead and the defense is gone, it will be processed by heterotrophic bacteria (in fact the bacteria will be the ones getting it whether out in the tank water or in the fishes gut :lol: ) and converted into ammonia. How much ammonia depends on the amount of material.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi rewlyn :)

If you mean live blackworms, they are excellent food for many fish and if a few escape and come to live in your substrate, it will cause no harm. They will be sucked out when you vacuum and the fish will nibble on them for snacks.

Did they tell you the proper way to prepare and care for them?

If you mean live blackworms, they are excellent food for many fish and if a few escape and come to live in your substrate, it will cause no harm. They will be sucked out when you vacuum and the fish will nibble on them for snacks.

Did they tell you the proper way to prepare and care for them?

no. i tend not to talk to the lfs people unless i have to, so i did not ask them i figured i coulds ask TFF
this forum knows what theyre talking about but you could i would appreciate it

thanks

Andrew

I'll be happy to tell you how to keep them. :D

First, look at them before you buy them. The lfs will keep them in a shallow pan, just covered with water. This water should appear reasonably clean and the worms should be active. Only buy a small amount because, since they have been harvested, they will not be eating. Plan on buying new ones weekly if they are going to be part of your fish's regular diet. If so, find out when your lfs gets their delivery and buy them as soon afterward as you can.

Once you get them home, put them in small container and run cold water over them until it runs out clear. Gently stir them to separate the clumps. Inspect them while you are doing this and remove foreign matter or dead worms. I use a small cocktail fork for this purpose and to serve them to the fish.

When you are satisfied that they are clean, put them in a covered container and store them in the refrigerator. Every day, just before you feed your fish, give them another quick rinse with cold water. This will remove any dead ones and keep them healthy as long as possible.

Good blackworms should look like this:

01-24-08bigworm1.jpg

Not like this:

Cleaningblackworms.jpg

Your fish will love them.

I'll be happy to tell you how to keep them. :D

First, look at them before you buy them. The lfs will keep them in a shallow pan, just covered with water. This water should appear reasonably clean and the worms should be active. Only buy a small amount because, since they have been harvested, they will not be eating. Plan on buying new ones weekly if they are going to be part of your fish's regular diet. If so, find out when your lfs gets their delivery and buy them as soon afterward as you can.

Once you get them home, put them in small container and run cold water over them until it runs out clear. Gently stir them to separate the clumps. Inspect them while you are doing this and remove foreign matter or dead worms. I use a small cocktail fork for this purpose and to serve them to the fish.

When you are satisfied that they are clean, put them in a covered container and store them in the refrigerator. Every day, just before you feed your fish, give them another quick rinse with cold water. This will remove any dead ones and keep them healthy as long as possible.

Good blackworms should look like this:

01-24-08bigworm1.jpg

Not like this:

Cleaningblackworms.jpg

Your fish will love them.

when i brought them the water was clear, and ill definetly house them right cause my fish love em
how often can i feed them the worms?

How often you feed them depends on the kind of fish you have and their specific dietary requirements. Don't forget they need a balanced diet that includes vitamins and minerals not found in worms.

If you don't get answers on this thread, please ask about them in the sections of the forum that are dedicated to your kinds of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back