Blood Parrot Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Let's see if some simple imagery works. Look at these two fish.

240107parrots1.jpg

That pic is in my 6ft tank. Which is 180g. And you say those two fish would fit, and be able to move around adequately, in a tank 8 times smaller than that?

Common sense? Cuckoo! Which part is incomprehensable? I have two parrot fish. I see them, feed them, watch them every day. I see how much they move, how much space they defend, how much space they need. And there is no way - NO WAY - they would fit in a 20g tank and be happy, and move about freely.

Done with this. Maybe for once someone else with a brain could step in and help me out here!
Just posted what I Thought, and as I said you took it as an attack. Stop being so overly sensative.

I could post that I think a labrador would look nice in a hamster cage - wouldn't make it the correct info. Stop wasting board space - post about something you know about. I'm sure you know tonnes more about bettas because you keep them - why not go help someone asking for info on them, instead of posting advice when you dont know the basic care needs for the fish concerned?

Common sense would be to post about something you knew about personally, or had at least researched - rather than just looking at your tank, thinking "They might fit in there - I know, let's tell everyone!".

I could post that I think a labrador would look nice in a hamster cage - wouldn't make it the correct info. Stop wasting board space - post about something you know about. I'm sure you know tonnes more about bettas because you keep them - why not go help someone asking for info on them, instead of posting advice when you dont know the basic care needs for the fish concerned?

Common sense would be to post about something you knew about personally, or had at least researched - rather than just looking at your tank, thinking "They might fit in there - I know, let's tell everyone!".
-_-;; People recommend a pair of cons in a 20. So I look at it like this:
They both get around the same size
Both behave relatively the same
So, to me, I don't see the problem? I simply said what I thought, there is NO rule against this. If a bunch of people post after me saying how much the fish need and they say they need more, than most likely their advise will be followed, and not mine, which I have no problem with. Its not a waste of board space, having an opinion on a size of a tank is something I am entitled to. Please, stop following me?

Oh lord, I know it's hard when someone corrects you a couple of times - but I'm not following you. I saw bad advice given, I tried to offer correct advice. I'm not following you darling, it's just you have been posting on threads I've already been reading, and posting advice that needed correcting.

Dont take it personally. Like I said - stick to the things you know about until you know enough about something else to pass out advice. I got an earful for replying on a thread recently because I hadn't had a certain type of fish - but at least I researched it and saw what the general consensus was.

Truce? It's obvious you're new-ish to fish keeping (what with the lack of filters and test kits - we all start somewhere) - it's easy to jump in and think you know everything - but sometimes you have to think before you type - and maybe read a little.

If I dont know something I google it. Google search for parrot fish tank size - and see what they say. Most say 55g minimum for a pair.

I've also had convicts, and my parrots are easily double if not triple the size (bulk, not length) of my convicts (but my convicts were only smaller adults at 2-3").

Oh lord, I know it's hard when someone corrects you a couple of times - but I'm not following you. I saw bad advice given, I tried to offer correct advice. I'm not following you darling, it's just you have been posting on threads I've already been reading, and posting advice that needed correcting.

Dont take it personally. Like I said - stick to the things you know about until you know enough about something else to pass out advice. I got an earful for replying on a thread recently because I hadn't had a certain type of fish - but at least I researched it and saw what the general consensus was.

Truce? It's obvious you're new-ish to fish keeping (what with the lack of filters and test kits - we all start somewhere) - it's easy to jump in and think you know everything - but sometimes you have to think before you type - and maybe read a little.

If I dont know something I google it. Google search for parrot fish tank size - and see what they say. Most say 55g minimum for a pair.

I've also had convicts, and my parrots are easily double if not triple the size (bulk, not length) of my convicts (but my convicts were only smaller adults at 2-3").
For me, I don't know any of you, so I don't like to trust just 1 or 2 people who are going to tell me something over the internet, because I don't know any of you..
Parrots are one of the cichlids I don't know much about no, I thought they were convict sized so thats why I sad 20g, if you woulda just said they were much more bulky I would have had no problem with it.
I'll be getting filters for all my tanks when I set up my big one, because once that is cycled I can get filter media from there to help my smaller tanks get started faster, right now I have no means. I will probably get a test kit for the big tank, simply because I'll have so many fish that need so many different needs in it.
Nothing said on the internet is taken personally, like I said I don't know any of you.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I have two parrots and I got them when they were really little. I thought they could live in my 26 gallon bowfront tank for 2 months until I had a 55 up and ready for them.

They did live in the 26 for two months.....but the day I put them in the 55 I swear I could see them smile :lol: . The 26 held my fish and they survived (being only about 2-3" each) but once they were in the 55 they were like 2 different fish and I saw what a truly happy fish looks and acts like.

Now that I have owned parrots I would never keep them in anything less than a 55, no matter how small they are. I read on here sometimes and think people go overboard on the size of tank you need to keep certain fish, but I am now becoming a believer in what most people are saying. It is hard to imagine a 55 gallon tank with 2 little 3" parrots in it, but it only takes a few months and your tank doesn't look as big as it did when you first got it lol. I have a severum, 3 rainbowfish, an african leaf fish, and my 2 parrots in the tank now ( they are all still fairly small yet) and I really think within 6 months or so I will be looking for a 75 gallon or bigger for them.

Barb

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back