Bloated gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Revoltgua

Reaction score
Hello, super new to the group and first time gourami keeper .
We woke up today to one of our females (Our gouramiā€™s sexes are just an assumption) looking quite large . Donā€™t get me wrong, Perla has always been thicker but sheā€™s uncomfortably bloated looking today . She isnā€™t lethargic at all! In fact, sheā€™s swimming the most weā€™ve seen her in the last few months . She actually did have a scare not to long ago where she seemed to not be eating but that has come and gone and literally forgotten.. until this, worked as a reminder . She is has been housed for the last two years in a 55gl with a pleco, another ā€œfemaleā€œ rainbow gourami, a ā€œmaleā€œ silver dollar, a ā€œfemaleā€ opaline, a ā€œmaleā€ blue 2 spot, and a ā€œmaleā€ and ā€femaleā€ gold, a bala shark, a germanram, and a few snails. I appreciate and thank you for your time/advice.
2CCB0FE2-B37A-4A44-8E1D-B103CFEE04DA.jpeg
E588656F-D7A8-4C3F-A9E7-EF08D4EEE111.jpeg
4DA86B56-939F-4F12-9483-2776072F6336.jpeg
A11A7AD9-2817-46E7-B9E9-31F1EE493897.jpeg
3CD93848-9940-45B8-92BB-875ED03D44E6.jpeg

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Try fasting her for a day and then offer her a boiled, deshelled pea. You can also give her an epsom salt bath. Fill a gallon bowl with dechlorinated water the same temperature as her tank water. Add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. Let her bathe in it for 15 minutes then place her back in tank. You can do this 3 times a day. The epsom salt works as a laxative. I just copy @Deanasue post from another thread.

When you look at her from above, do her scales stick out like a pine cone? If so, then she has dropsy which is very rarely curable. You can try what @Barry Tetra recommended, but if she has dropsy, it most likely will do nothing to save her. It's always worth a try though!

When you look at her from above, do her scales stick out like a pine cone? If so, then she has dropsy which is very rarely curable. You can try what @Barry Tetra recommended, but if she has dropsy, it most likely will do nothing to save her. It's always worth a try though!
I was afraid that may be it. However, when looking at her.. she almost looks like she swallowed a golf ball and has a rivet like texture look to her.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Try fasting her for a day and then offer her a boiled, deshelled pea. You can also give her an epsom salt bath. Fill a gallon bowl with dechlorinated water the same temperature as her tank water. Add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. Let her bathe in it for 15 minutes then place her back in tank. You can do this 3 times a day. The epsom salt works as a laxative. I just copy @Deanasue post from another thread.
Thank you! I will definitely have to try all of this !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back