Bloated fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to vote! ๐Ÿ†

Camallanus are round/ thread worms. Tapeworms are white or semi transparent and flat, and have segments.

Flubendazole can be used instead of Praziquantel and Levamisole.
Thank you Colin

That's why Wormer Plus says it treats all of these worms and flukes. It's a powder rather than a liquid and comes in large packs as it's intended for routine use with discus (which need large tanks so the dosage uses more of it than with smaller tanks)

Howdy everyone,

Bloated issue update..

Treated both my tanks before i went on hoilday with eSHa-ndx. (To cure roundworms)

200ltr : Unfortuntely i lost the 2 rainbows which were bloated before i left :( On returning the remaining rainbows are looking ok and feeding well. (Still pooping longish (1cm) poop but its not white its red) Does this sound more promising?

100ltr: All fish eating well but all my female zebra danios looking pregnant:dunno:. Also my pleco still pooping long brown poop. Is this normal for pleco's? Treated this tank tonight with eSHa gdex (To cure tapeworms) because treatment for roundworms doesnt seem to of worked.

Just hope this sorts the problem, its frustrating not being able to get the med's we need in th Uk! :mad:

Coloured poop in fish is determined by the colour of the food they eat. If they get a lot of red food, their poop is more red. If they get a lot of green food it is green. White and stringy is an issue but coloured is normal.

Make sure the rainbows get lots of plant matter in their diet. I like Duckweed in rainbowfish tanks so they can pick at it throughout the day.

----------------------
Bristlenose and other suckermouth catfish do huge poop that can be several inches long (normally 1/2 to 1 inch) and dark brown. It's from the wood and plant matter they eat.

Coloured poop in fish is determined by the colour of the food they eat. If they get a lot of red food, their poop is more red. If they get a lot of green food it is green. White and stringy is an issue but coloured is normal.

Make sure the rainbows get lots of plant matter in their diet. I like Duckweed in rainbowfish tanks so they can pick at it throughout the day.

----------------------
Bristlenose and other suckermouth catfish do huge poop that can be several inches long (normally 1/2 to 1 inch) and dark brown. It's from the wood and plant matter they eat.

Thats good to to know, thats what i
Im finding with my BN pleco. :) I have 5 zebra danios 4 f 1 m with him in this tank. The females look pregnant now. Im hoping they are anyway and its not anything like the 2 rainbows i lost.

Is there any more signs i can look for to know if they are pregant or not.

Ill order some duckweed for rainbows and keep montioring them for anymore signs of issues over the coming days.

Female danios develop eggs when the water temperature is above 18C. If they don't get rid of the eggs, they can become egg bound and just remain fat.

Doing big daily water changes using slightly cooler water, can encourage danios to breed. Make sure you have lots of fine leaf plants like Java Moss in the tank for them.

My worry is with the problems ive had that the danios are/might be infected like my rainbows and not pregnant.
But my male is normal size wise (slimline)

Do you know roughly how long they would normally carry the eggs before they drop? 1 female is slightly head of the other 3 size wise. She looked big a couple of weeks ago before i went. 20190818_094153.jpg
(cant be far of dropping id say if she is carrying) my rainbows looked bloated to me where as my danios look like their carrying eggs. Might be me just hoping tho

Danios are egg scatterers that need the male to chase the female into plants where they shed sperm and eggs. If you separate the male and females for 4 or 5 days, and then put them together in a smaller shallow tank (about 8-10 inches of water), they might breed in there. Even separating the male and female for 4 or 5 days and putting them back in the main tank can get them to breed.

They aren't like livebearers that release young, either the male gets her to breed or she holds the eggs indefinitely.

Danios are egg scatterers that need the male to chase the female into plants where they shed sperm and eggs. If you separate the male and females for 4 or 5 days, and then put them together in a smaller shallow tank (about 8-10 inches of water), they might breed in there. Even separating the male and female for 4 or 5 days and putting them back in the main tank can get them to breed.

They aren't like livebearers that release young, either the male gets her to breed or she holds the eggs indefinitely.

Ok thanks Colin,

Ill try some water changes with slightly cooler water first then if no sign of them breeding ill put Male in Qt tank for 3 or 4 days:thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back