🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ouskamp

Reaction score
I know Betta's are freshwater fish, but I saw posts here so I thought I would see if anyone might have answers for me.

On Christmas morning I noticed my beloved Betta, Sebastian was bloated. In looking at the photos, nothing has changed since then. I'm so mad at myself because he may have been bloated before Christmas and I didn't notice because my business keeps me so busy at the holidays and I would drop in his pellets and run. I know..BAD BAD BAD on me. If I could do it again...

I have read all the pages upon pages about Dropsy and Swim Bladder issues and have come to the conclusion it must be constipation (and I'm hoping nothing worse). His only symptoms, he's bloated and not wanting to eat. But then when you're bloated and constipated, don't you feel the same way? Also, unlike my other 3 Bettas, he's not one to come running each morning for food. He takes his time whereas the others gobble it up. I have checked local stores for Daphnia but none is to be found in this small town. Yesterday I put in some defrosted brined shrimp and I believe I saw him eat a couple. He doesn't care for peas. He swims around his tank normally which is why I have ruled out swim bladder issues. His color is normal. He spends time in his tree and on his leaves at the top of the tank. He also enjoys sleeping under his bridge and under and over the leaves of his plants. I would say he spends equal time at both top and bottom of the tank. He still comes when I tap the surface of the water but not as quickly as he used to before he bloated (when I'm bloated I'm not as fast either!). He also comes to the glass when he sees me walk by. He has always been a funny sleeper and has tested my heart a few times. He sleeps completely vertical at times or bent like a rainbow. Other times, like most Bettas, he'll sleep on his side. So to be asked if he's behaving oddly..well, he always has behaved oddly! Which is what makes this especially difficult.

I continue to read about Epsom Salt baths but I am nervous about it. I don't want to kill him while trying to help him. I've attached a couple ratios I found and looked at a lot of videos on youtube. Still nervous, I went with a 1/4 tsp to 1/2 gallon of water (esp since the videos just showed a plastic container without dimensions). He's doing really well with the lower dose and I hope it's doing some good. I would think it would be more stressful putting him into a transfer cup, placing that in that salt water to acclimate him, putting him in the salt water bath, then quarantine again to acclimate before putting him back in his tank vs adding 1 tsp to his 5 gallon tank. I was about to do that but realized I had a snail in there and snails and salt..no bueno! If I can find him, I may put him with another Betta and try this. Has anyone tried this and more importantly..did it work? I have also heard/read to only do salt baths 3-5 times a week and some say per day! It's so confusing.

Any educated help and feedback would be very helpful. I just want to get him well. Thank you so very much!

Epsom Salt Bath is different EVERYWHERE!
-1 teaspoon per gallon of water?
-1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of Epsom salt added to aquarium? Per: Constipation In Betta Fish (Complete Guide) - Betta Care Fish Guide
-1 tablespoon to 1 Gallon (Fishlore)

Attachments

• Bloated Seb.jpg
    Bloated Seb.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Seb 12 27 2.jpg
    Seb 12 27 2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Seb 12 28 2.jpg
    Seb 12 28 2.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Salt Bath.jpg
    Salt Bath.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 104
  • seb on bottom.jpg
    seb on bottom.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Seb resting.jpg
    Seb resting.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 96
The only thing I could think of would be to fast him for a three days, do lots of water changes and maybe move this post to the tropical emergency forum on this site

Try doing more water changes. Is he resting on the bottom a lot?

I do epsom salt baths at times. For bettas, place 1 teaspoon of epsom salt in a gallon of heated and treated water. Leave him in for no more than 10-15 minutes. You can do this 3 times a day. Epsom salt is a mild laxative and will also pull fluid off. I would also fast him for a day and then give a boiled, peeled pea. Also do daily water changes of at least 50% for the next 10 days. I have to be honest, constipation since Christmas is a really long time.

Last edited:
Did he show any symptoms when you got him?

Most reactions

Back