Bloat

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Well, I have 18 1-inch long Ram Cichlids (12 Dark Knight, 6 Gold) growing out in a 15 g tank (Hence the term grow out - I am aware they will need much more room).

Water parameters:
pH 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
TDS: 150 right before a W/C, 75 after (no kH or gH measurements, I use pure remineralized R/O)

All rams look extremely healthy and eat vigorously, excluding one budding male. At first, I thought he was a female (1 inch long, so difference is not 100% obvious yet) beginning to egg up (I do have an actual female doing just this) but as of yesterday morning, I've begun to suspect that the Ram is (1) a male (dorsal fin is beginning to elongate) and (2) is constipated. The bloating is more severe than any female egging up that I've ever seen - but thankfully the scales are not protruding which indicates that it is not dropsy.

They are fed a high protein diet (Golden Pearls - for growth) primarily and I believe that I have not done enough to include vegetation in their diet. I did feed frozen, mushed peas tonight which all ate -- except for the one that is very bloated.

I've been doing some research and it seems that Epsom salts may be helpful/effective in treating this. Does anyone have successful experience in doing this? I do not often have diseased fish and I can not remember a time in recent memory where a fish of mine was bloated.

Fish don't get constipated because it is a terrestrial animal problem caused by lack of fluid and fibre in the diet. Fish live in water so it can't happen.

What does the fish's poop look like?
If the poop is stringy and white it has an internal infection. If it's coloured and drops off normally, it is fine internally.

It might just be a greedy fish and eats lots. Photos and video might help provide us with more information.

Fish don't get constipated because it is a terrestrial animal problem caused by lack of fluid and fibre in the diet. Fish live in water so it can't happen.

What does the fish's poop look like?
If the poop is stringy and white it has an internal infection. If it's coloured and drops off normally, it is fine internally.

It might just be a greedy fish and eats lots. Photos and video might help provide us with more information.
Thanks @Colin_T . Unfortunately, the DK Ram passed away.

Last night I noticed 2 gold Rams that looked similar, bloated but not dropsy.

I feed them a spirulina flake hoping it would help clear them out. This morning only one has bloat, as shown in the pictures below.

Attachments

• D10B3C3A-2052-4B30-98AD-607F8C7B1108.jpeg
    D10B3C3A-2052-4B30-98AD-607F8C7B1108.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 52438F82-5722-40B3-B52D-8CC0644056FC.jpeg
    52438F82-5722-40B3-B52D-8CC0644056FC.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20937BB9-38FC-4D16-8297-C5B6310C17F1.jpeg
    20937BB9-38FC-4D16-8297-C5B6310C17F1.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 44
The gold ram looks a bit red around the belly, which could be the start of a bacterial infection or just colouration. However, fish usually stop eating and act a little off when they have a bacterial infection. Apart from that the fish looks fine.

Maybe try feeding them a few other types of food and see if it helps.

Monitor them over the next few days and post more pictures if more fish develop the same issue.

The gold ram looks a bit red around the belly, which could be the start of a bacterial infection or just colouration. However, fish usually stop eating and act a little off when they have a bacterial infection. Apart from that the fish looks fine.

Maybe try feeding them a few other types of food and see if it helps.

Monitor them over the next few days and post more pictures if more fish develop the same issue.
I would agree on the red-ness. I thought that this might just because they are young enough to be semi-translucent.

I’ll monitor.

Any thoughts on effectiveness of aquarium salt? I’ve heard/read conflicting opinions on it’s effectiveness for conditions such as these.

Salt (sodium chloride) can be used to treat minor bacterial, fungal and external protozoan infections. However, I don't think there is a disease problem with the fish if they are eating well and the water is good.

Follow up: fish is still eating well, but the bottom underside of her abdomen appears to have “reddish” colored eggs for a lack of better term. I did my best to get a picture - should I consider treating at this point?

I did my best to snag a pic.

Attachments

• 9A8DEAB1-1887-4522-9076-43D23B5D18FC.jpeg
    9A8DEAB1-1887-4522-9076-43D23B5D18FC.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 41
  • EB3575A3-6350-4D3D-94B1-BD8129F7A92C.jpeg
    EB3575A3-6350-4D3D-94B1-BD8129F7A92C.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 44
  • F50D8583-8CE2-4F16-BD16-53B2AF85D339.jpeg
    F50D8583-8CE2-4F16-BD16-53B2AF85D339.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DD3E1F91-1B76-4F49-90C4-73D752546106.jpeg
    DD3E1F91-1B76-4F49-90C4-73D752546106.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 41
it could be the fish food or she has eggs.

don't treat them unless they start dying, and then work out why they are dying so you can treat them for that ailment.

You're probably right - I don't have enough to go off to know what's wrong and Rams are very sensitive to water quality; so chucking in medications is probably not a great idea. I just hate to lose another fish. I'll keep this thread updated - the fish swims around like nothing is wrong and seems to be eating semi -ok; though I have not noticed her pooping (I don't notice the others, either -- they are too fast and probably digest most of their food when I'm not around).

I did notice something odd; I have a brand new fluval heater in that tank and it's set to 82 degrees, but the tank was 76 last night (pre water change). I'll boosted it to 84 and tonight will temp it to see where it's at. Rams need warm water to properly aid in digestion, so I wonder if this is related at all.

Hoping whatever it is will pass on it's own - did a water change yesterday.

It's unlikely to be the cooler water causing problems. The fish will digest food in 22C water or 32C water. They grow faster at higher temperatures but slightly cooler water does not cause bloat.

If the heater is struggling to keep the water warm, insulate the base, back and sides with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets. Tape them to the outside of the glass.

Put a coverglass on the tank too if you don't have one and it will help trap the heat.

If you have an external canister filter on the tank, wrap the filter case (not the motor) with a blanket or towel or put it in a cardboard box and poke a couple of holes in the top of the box for the hoses. The sealed up box will help trap heat and reduce the cold air dropping the water temperature.

Last edited:
It's unlikely to be the cooler water causing problems. The fish will digest food in 22C water or 32C water. They grow faster at higher temperatures but slightly cooler water does not cause bloat.

If the heater is struggling to keep the water warm, insulate the base, back and sides with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets. Tape them to the outside of the glass.

Put a coverglass on the tank too if you don't have one and it will help trap the heat.

If you have an external canister filter on the tank, wrap the filter case (not the motor) with a blanket or towel or put it in a cardboard box and poke a couple of holes in the top of the box for the hoses. The sealed up box will help trap heat and reduce the cold air dropping the water temperature.

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking it may be defective as:

1. All other aquariums in the same room have the correct temperature.
2. This heater is supposed to be good up to 20gs and this is a 15g tank.
3. I have a cover glass on it.
4. The external room temperature is a constant 70 degrees and does not fluctuate.

Good news! The female that was suffering from bloat is doing great, now! I'm not sure if it was diet or eggs but I've begun to introduce spirulina in their diet to ensure that this was not the issue.

Most reactions

trending

Back