Blister on barb.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a male Rosy Barb with what looks like a blister above his snout. It's hard to describe. You know if you burn yourself with hot water, and your skin bubbles up and fills up with like a watery solution? Thats kind of what it looks like

Has anyone encountered something like this? I don"t know if he's sick or has a disease or what

Can anyone help me on this??

Thanks

How long has the blister been there? Is it a recent addition, or has it always been there? To much salt in the water can cause blisters, are you using salt?

I only just noticed it yesterday, and I have no salt in the tank at all. I do know that I have do know that I have high levels of nitrate in the tank and am doing frequent water changes and tank cleaning. Maybe that could have something to do with it???

High nitrates will cause fish to "flash" against objects in the tank, it could be damage resulting from that. How high are your nitrates - and what is the nitrate level like in your tapwater? I presume you are using an appropriate water conditioner when doing water changes?

There are diseases that exhibit blisters, but they are unusual, so I would not recommend assuming that yet.

Is the blister getting bigger? Is it a different colour or simply clear? Is the fish otherwise healthy, feeding swimming normally?

Some male Cyprinids grow small "tubercules" on their heads when coming into breeding condition, although I've not noticed them in B. conchonius before.

Right now the nitrates are between 25 and 50... closer to 50 though. They have dropped from upwards of 100. Nitrates in my tap water are close to 0.

The last water changes I have done have been from water that has sat out for at least 72 hours. I do use a water conditioner/chlorine remover. However... I just remembered now that I did not add it with this past water change. The fish did have the blister before I did the change.

The blister is not getting and larger or smaller, and is clear. I have noticed that my barb swims up at the top of the tank holding the blister paralel to the surface of the water... almost like he is putting it above the water.

As far as I can tell the fish is healthy. He eats and shoals with the rest of the barbs in my tank. But he does tend to be more aggressive to the other fish in the tank at times. Chasing them around... which is something that he doesn't usually do. For about 3 days I noticed that he was hiding all the time, but couldn't get a close enough look at him to see if anything was wrong.

I really appreciate the help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back