Bleeding Heart Tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Awol

Reaction score
right bought some bleeding heart tetras but the biggest one out of them harasses everything else in the tank and chases and nips at them is this usual or have i got a bully. got some platys neons glowlights and rummy nose in the tank and it tortures them all

not that long just over a week but never done much the first 2 or 3 days but then just started chaseing everything else will it settle sown eventually

Bleeding hearts are among my favourite tetras, but they are a little on the aggressive side. This makes them ideal for combining with, say, angels, dwarf cichlids, or South American puffers, but I wouldn't keep them in a small aquarium with very placid species like glowlights or neons. How big is your tank? Do the smaller fish have places to hide?

BHs should also be kept in reasonable numbers. Six will do the trick nicely. Males have longer dorsal fins and are apt to be a bit more bullish. Even in a group, there will be constant fighting, with fish displaying to one another (flicking fins, head-to-tail) and lots of chasing. They never become totally quiet fish like some other tetras. They're always on the go.

I keep mine with glassfish, hatchetfish, halfbeaks, and puffers and they all seem to get along fine.

Cheers,

Neale

congrats....you will love them! when they reach full size you can actually see they have really sharp pointy teeth, almost piranah like! the males do chase the others around alot, but ive never noticed it to be damaging at all...
url]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/red...edinghearts.jpg[/img]

yeah thought they looked a bit piranah like seemed to have calmed down a little today, really funny when feeding cause they shoot at the food then straight back to the bottom of the tank at speed then back up and down a speed to get little bits , there in a 20 gallon with plenty of hidding spaces , planning on getting a bigger tank so will prob move them :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back