Bleeding Goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I was inspecting my goldfish and noticed some blood on the upper part of their body, and some dark stuff on the fins. So far I only found 2 of them with a the dark spots and blood, and they've been sitting at the bottom of the tank. I can't get too close or one of them will start freaking out. We're gonna get them a temporary tank until we get them a larger one. (The current one is pretty small for them) Any idea why the blood is there and how to stop it?

The water is really cloudy, and we just changed the water yesterday. And as a side question, how deep does the temporary tank need to be? We found a temporary tank that's about 5 inches tall and I was wondering if that was enough.

Attachments

• 15657203769821758950615218347759.jpg
    15657203769821758950615218347759.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 169
Cloudy water and red lines in the fins, tail and body is typical of poor water quality and ammonia. Reduce feeding to a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for at least 2 weeks.

Get the water tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and post the results in numbers here.

---------------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Tanks that are 5 inches high and not big enough for goldfish.

Cloudy water and red lines in the fins, tail and body is typical of poor water quality and ammonia. Reduce feeding to a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for at least 2 weeks.

Get the water tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and post the results in numbers here.

---------------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Tanks that are 5 inches high and not big enough for goldfish.

Thanks! One of them is turning upside down and hitting herself against the bottom of the tank, is that also a symptom of ammonia?
-----------
The tank has been set up for about 2 or 3 weeks.

We weren't actually gonna use a 'tank' it's like one of the baby tubs?

One of them is turning upside down and hitting herself against the bottom of the tank, is that also a symptom of ammonia?
That is a fish dying. It can be caused by ammonia or a number of other things, but if a fish starts rolling over and not being able to keep itself the right way up, then it's time to euthanise the fish. The quickest way is to wrap it in a couple of paper towels and hit it on the head with something hard. If you can't do that, then put it in a small container of tank water and put it in the freezer. Leave it there until frozen, then bury it in the garden.

Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle? If not, please read up on it. I don’t think that tiny tank is cycled. That means the fish are being poisoned by ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. As Colin advised, do daily water changes and of 70%. Get some Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator as it will bind the toxic chemicals for 24 hours. This will keep your fish safe between the water changes. You must get a much larger tank for these fish and get it cycled. Again, read on the aquarium nitrogen cycle and how to do a fish in cycle. Single tailed goldfish will eventually need 100 gallons of water for a single fish as they are pond fish. Fancy tails need 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for each additional fish. Therefore, fancy goldfish or fantailed are your best bet for an aquarium. Good luck!

That is a fish dying. It can be caused by ammonia or a number of other things, but if a fish starts rolling over and not being able to keep itself the right way up, then it's time to euthanise the fish. The quickest way is to wrap it in a couple of paper towels and hit it on the head with something hard. If you can't do that, then put it in a small container of tank water and put it in the freezer. Leave it there until frozen, then bury it in the garden.

She seems to do it on purpose, other than that she swims really well. It is an itch maybe?

Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle? If not, please read up on it. I don’t think that tiny tank is cycled. That means the fish are being poisoned by ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. As Colin advised, do daily water changes and of 70%. Get some Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator as it will bind the toxic chemicals for 24 hours. This will keep your fish safe between the water changes. You must get a much larger tank for these fish and get it cycled. Again, read on the aquarium nitrogen cycle and how to do a fish in cycle. Single tailed goldfish will eventually need 100 gallons of water for a single fish as they are pond fish. Fancy tails need 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for each additional fish. Therefore, fancy goldfish or fantailed are your best bet for an aquarium. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll go and look it up :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back