bladder snails eating amano food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
at first the bladder snails were good- helping clean glass. now there many little snails all over the sinking pellets for my amano shrimp!
i transferred some snails to my guppy tank. it’s hard to net the real tiny one so i use a long turkey baster kind of thing ( it’s for feeding coral ?)
but i can’t always be watching.
is there a way of feeding amanos that the snails can’t get or like the food? tonight i murdered a few:( squished. they are fast little things and go right for the sinking pellet. i have algae pellets that the amanos don’t eat. my shrimp like to eat sinking pellets that are intended for catfish/ plecos. help !

If the shrimps are hungry enough, they'll eat the pellets and not be bothered by the snails. Is your tank planted?

They don't call them pest snails for no reason.

If the shrimps are hungry enough, they'll eat the pellets and not be bothered by the snails. Is your tank planted?
hi- i have live java moss and i recently ordered more. i also have a few plastic plants. i put a couple pellets on top of the sponge filter. 2 shrimp found that. the thing that concerns me is that the shrimp seem to go right away for the food after i remove snails and put a new pellet in. like they are real hungry. my shrimp are young- and the snails literally cover an entire pellet- maybe eventually the shrimp will learn to get to the food before the snails!
thanks for the reply.

It's a matter of perspective... I see snails as a valuable member of the clean-up crew, reducing organic waste so bacteria can more easily finish the job. See Mulm, and Algae, and Snails, Oh My! :)
good article. i agree that the snails are good cleaners. but the really tiny ones can cover a whole pellet. i’ll continue to transfer the snails to other aquariums. and keep an eye on the situation. one question- can you tell if a shrimp has food in them? -they’re so transparent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back