Black Molly with 1 bulging eye

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Well, I really appreciate everyoneā€™s advice and help but my poor Molly didnā€™t make it through the morning. All the other fish look good. I donā€™t see any issues except with my newly acquired Betta. She doesnā€™t seem to be eating. Has not eaten since I got her 2 weeks ago. Well maybe she eats the tropical food but I tried to put some Betta food near her & she has ignored. Yesterday she started to just hang at the bottom of the tank but then will swim around when you go by her or another fish does. I took her out today & put her in a bowl. I tried to feed her Betta food which she wouldnā€™t eat but then she did eat some of the Betta treats (freeze dried worms). She seems fine so will probably put her back in tonight.

I have acquired 3 new fish in the past 2 weeks. Everyone else is a few months.

I think I might do another water change & replace my moss balls & add some more live plants.

Are you quarantining these new fish before adding them with the others? Iā€™m so sorry that your molly didnā€™t make it.

No. I donā€™t have a quarantine tank. When I add them I also add some voogle to the tank which has seemed to help. Might have been the 2 platy I recently got. I found out after I got them they were just delivered to the store that morning so lots of stress. They seem to be doing good now but spent almost 3 days together at the bottom back corner of my tank.

Always quarantine any new fish for at least a week. Preferably 2 weeks. You can purchase an inexpensive plastic food safe container to put them in along with a cheap heater. If you canā€™t afford a filter then do daily water changes.

Thanks. When you quarantine, do you just look for any disease to arise in that 2 weeks? Are the fish ok with daily water changes as long as I dechlorinate?

Thanks. When you quarantine, do you just look for any disease to arise in that 2 weeks? Are the fish ok with daily water changes as long as I dechlorinate?
Yes, they should be. I have only gone a few days before in QT when in a pinch. By then they should at least show signs of ich if they have it. Get a small heater and filter when you can to be prepared. Eventually you will have to put a sick fish in quarantine. Keep some extra filter media in your existing filter too so you can move some over when you set up a QT TANK. Then you will have it cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back