Black Algae?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got this dark, blackish algae that has has started to over take the tank. I don't guess my snail eats that kind. The tank is by a natural light source so I don't know if that's how it starting growing or what but how do I get rid of it?

It is probably a form of brush algae.  Does it appear similar to the algae in the photo attached?  And I assume it is not easy to remove, say with your fingertips?  Snails may eat this, not sure, but if they do it is not to any great extent.  It is due to light and nutrients.  Before I go into dealing with it, is this a planted tank or not?

If the photo is not the same basic algae, could you post a photo of your tank?

Byron.

Attachments

• brush algae2.jpg
    brush algae2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 137
I can post a pic later when Im home but yet it looks like what is in the photo. My tank is planted but the algae isn't on the plants, it's on the glass.

GuppyGirl20 said:
I can post a pic later when Im home but yet it looks like what is in the photo. My tank is planted but the algae isn't on the plants, it's on the glass.

I would like to see a photo when you can, just to be sure.  I see this appear mainly on plant leaves, but it is present on the glass next to the filter return, including along the spray bar, and on filter intake tubes.

Balancing the light and nutrients for the plants is the way to deal with this.  You mentioned natural light source, and that can trigger it.  A little bit in places like I've mentioned isn't a problem, but if it starts spreading then it can become one.  I'll probably have more when I see the photo later, but the quick answer to your question of how to get rid of it, is to deal with the natural light source.  If this is daylight from a window, some form of block like shade, drapes, or black construction paper on the back and relevant side glass of the tank may help, but if none of that is feasible then moving the tank away from the light is advisable.

Byron.

I would use a basic aquarium sponge-type scraper, or if needed a stiff scraper, to get most of that.  Then reduce the light source as mentioned previously.  B.

GuppyGirl20 said:

You're welcome.  I forgot to mention that this will likely solve your problem, but if not, we can take a look at other factors like nutrients/fertilizers, plant species, fish load.  Getting the balance is all that one needs, but here I suspect the light is the issue.  Keep us posted.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back