Biting Betta

Sometimes you need to assert yourself in a polite but firm way. Have a face to face with this betta, acknowledge that she's the alpha in the tank, and make her understand that you're the benevolent overlord of the entire setup. I'm sure she'll see the light. Godspeed.

Fish have body language all their own

Betta are easy to read if you spot the signs......especially the heavy finned males when in a community setting. The curling of tail and finnage around food to stop tankmates eating, the snapping back as another fish swims quietly by but too close, the way that after a while tankmates get nipped and pushed around, and how tankmates cower as far away as they can from the Betta and often turn their back on it when it swims by.

Watching the fish you can often pick up behavioural traits of your fish, how different individuals react to you and each other. Fish can be quite fascinating...if a little painful at times when they decide your flesh is better than the food you are serving them ;)
I think I'm slowly catching on to cues. One nip at a time 🤣

Bettas have poor vision except really in close, as befits a creature that waits underwater for mosquitoes to land. Sometimes they get confused.
Sometimes when you buy females, you get short finned males. Males are quite territorial.

I had a Betta that used to swim into my cupped hand when I was a teenager. I could lift him out, though I only did that once. Maybe the fish is kissing you, but seriously lacks understanding of the concept or basic social skills...

Or, she thinks your arm is a dragon and she wants to protect her society/sorority from such threats.
She is mistaken. It is she who is dragon lord of the tank. One inch of pure betta dragon fury haha

Sometimes you need to assert yourself in a polite but firm way. Have a face to face with this betta, acknowledge that she's the alpha in the tank, and make her understand that you're the benevolent overlord of the entire setup. I'm sure she'll see the light. Godspeed.
Maybe she'll discuss it over a good cup of Java. Hers will have to be the fern of course. Shes not even the alpha over the other gals. But I'm outranked by a fish and I can't even be upset about it 🤣
This has been a very amusing and informative thread. In my first intro on the site I admitted this was a midlife crisis gift to myself. I thought I did a lot of reading before I began, but it seems I've missed a whole lot. Lots of contradicting articles out there. But even though a betta knocked me down a few pegs its still a hobby worth my efforts. I owe all of you a thanks.

You're certainly not the first to end up with a fish that requires anger management or attitude adjustment......I think we have all encountered at least one fish that bites the hand that feeds or goes off in a strop or throws a tantrum if you dare move a grain of sand in their aquarium....

Some people think a fish is a boring pet, just something to plop in the water and thats it........little do they know that inside every fish, Jaws is waiting to get out ;)

You're certainly not the first to end up with a fish that requires anger management or attitude adjustment......I think we have all encountered at least one fish that bites the hand that feeds or goes off in a strop or throws a tantrum if you dare move a grain of sand in their aquarium....

Some people think a fish is a boring pet, just something to plop in the water and thats it........little do they know that inside every fish, Jaws is waiting to get out ;)
Deep down I think I knew that. I have an irrational fear of dark waters because I imagine jaws is inside every living fish. I never realized a small tank in the home would be unsafe too hahaha you may have picked her new name. Jaws.

Maybe she'll discuss it over a good cup of Java. Hers will have to be the fern of course. Shes not even the alpha over the other gals. But I'm outranked by a fish and I can't even be upset about it 🤣
This has been a very amusing and informative thread. In my first intro on the site I admitted this was a midlife crisis gift to myself. I thought I did a lot of reading before I began, but it seems I've missed a whole lot. Lots of contradicting articles out there. But even though a betta knocked me down a few pegs its still a hobby worth my efforts. I owe all of you a thanks.

See, there you go. Java, maybe bloodworms. Find what makes her tick.

Joking aside, it seems the "midlife crisis" is the starting point for a few people, not the first time I see this mentioned.

Personally I don't think I'm going thru that, however the last couple of years were the toughest I've had for several reasons, and going back to the hobby allowed me to focus on something completely different, and sitting there watching these critters go about their life, which is almost entirely dependent on me; had become both peaceful and a source of motivation for something that doesn't have any other outcome except seeing live things thrive.

I've found that simple and inconsequential while very profound at the same time. Now I'm dealing with MTS, but that's another story 🤣

I hit a point where I've had to let go of every hobby to date. Whether for lack of time or money. I don't have regrets. Even having to walk away from my career was for reasons worthwhile.
I wanted something to learn about and care for that doesn't have the capability to talk back 😂 this living thing needs my help to survive and they look pretty doing it. Beyond the occasional bullying from my betta its been relatively peaceful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back