Bird Charmer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I just had to share these pictures I just took of a wild cockatoo. He flew in and landed on my dogs kennel and allowed me to walk right up to him with a food block, he would have stayed too but my dopey other dog scared the cockatoo. The cocky then flew to the bird feeder in the backyard and waited for me to bring it the food.
All the photos where taken with no zoom just on my phone.
IMAG1124.jpg

IMAG1125.jpg

IMAG1126.jpg

IMAG1127.jpg

IMAG1128.jpg

Obviously I can charm the birds from the trees
laugh.png
wink.png

Lol, lovely looking bird, we get a lot of green Parakeets over here now, cherry tree out the back is smothered with them in summer.

When you say green parakeets I guess your talking about Indian Ringnecks(?) over here any time people mention green parrots they are talking about "greenies" meaning Scaly breasted lorikeets.
I just have to watch out that the cockie doesn't get to sure of hanging around on my back patio, when they get bored they tend to chew, and those beaks are like demolition balls munching through what ever feels nice to gnaw on.

I'm so jealous! The only parrot North America had went exticnt in the 1800's :(

He is a handsome fellow! Parrots are clever birds and intelligent enough to realise you want to feed them not kill them.

I'm so jealous! The only parrot North America had went exticnt in the 1800's
sad.png
Nice shootin, son. ;)

They certianly are smart, and with the brains comes destruction of property when they get bored. Most of the cockatoos that come to my yard try to break into my bird avairy because they can see the food in there. This guy however has been turning up on his own and not hanging about all day destroying the house and yard.

From my understanding the North American parrot was a pretty little bird too
sad1.gif

Yeah it was the Carolina Parakeet, went extinct in 1918. But we digress
He's a handsome cockatoo :nod:

Thanks, I am sure he would love to hear that his handsome
shifty.gif
personally I think he already thinks it
laugh.png
. I have a couple of other pictures I will upload later of this guy and my cat Shiya.

We have a wild population of Red-crowned Parrots here in the San Diego area. They are not sure how they got here. Some say escapees, some say they just flew North from Mexico. They are breeding and populating really fast. There's a flock of about 75 that roosts near my house, and man are they noisy! They are not at all "tame" like this Cockatoo. You'd be lucky to get within 50 meters of one. Here's a poor pic of a few.....

PA011203.jpg

I wonder if your fast growing population could be from a mix of birds moving north and escapees
huh.png
Here are the pictures I took again with my phone so sorry they aren't great, of my cat Shiya with eyes bigger than his belly
laugh.png
IMAG1115.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

IMAG1117.jpg

The cockatoo knew he was there all along, Shiya just cant understand that he is a glowing white cat
laugh.png

So it looks like a Greater Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, right? They used to export and sell those here in the U.S. I remember trying to tame one when I was working in a tropical fish and bird store. I was doing mass water changes at the same time, had the valve shut on the hose, and the ticked off cockatoo jumped down and bit the hose I was filling the tanks with. Water sprayed everywhere!

Yeah it would be a greater sulpher crested cockatoo, generally we just call them "cockies" . I remember seeing the black market price list for sulpher crested cockatoos and the price was in the thousands
blink.png
. Really surprised me since they are often shot as pests over here.
They really do have a wicked bite, and I am glad so far I have not had one latch on to me
biggrin.png
. Galahs can hurt enough
nugget.gif
.I think if Shiya had of some how caught the cockatoo, he would have been a very sore kitty cat, it would have no problems breaking a front leg.
One of these days I will get some pictures of red tailed black cockatoos, they are real stunners
wub.png
and bigger again than the white cockatoos.

Most reactions

trending

Back