Biological Snail Solution

tylerv9

New Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum!

Well I have a 55 gallon community
This is what I keep
- pair of dwarf cockatoos
- pair of balloon rams
- 6 cardinal tetra
- 5 rainbowfish
- 10 danios
- 3 otos

The tank is planted, which led to this snail predicament I am in now. There are all eggs on plants and in the gravel. So, my snail traps and random removing of a few snails is proving fruitless.

I was wondering if I could get a pair of chain loaches in this tank to take care of the baby snails and eggs.

Thanks for all your help!
 
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum!

Well I have a 55 gallon community
This is what I keep
- pair of dwarf cockatoos
- pair of balloon rams
- 6 cardinal tetra
- 5 rainbowfish
- 10 danios
- 3 otos

The tank is planted, which led to this snail predicament I am in now. There are all eggs on plants and in the gravel. So, my snail traps and random removing of a few snails is proving fruitless.

I was wondering if I could get a pair of chain loaches in this tank to take care of the baby snails and eggs.

Thanks for all your help!

I know a cockatoo
 
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum!

Well I have a 55 gallon community
This is what I keep
- pair of dwarf cockatoos
- pair of balloon rams
- 6 cardinal tetra
- 5 rainbowfish
- 10 danios
- 3 otos

The tank is planted, which led to this snail predicament I am in now. There are all eggs on plants and in the gravel. So, my snail traps and random removing of a few snails is proving fruitless.

I was wondering if I could get a pair of chain loaches in this tank to take care of the baby snails and eggs.

Thanks for all your help!

I know a cockatoo


humbug catfish
 
Ohh poor snails :lol:

Have you tried the adding a slice of cucmber/lettuce over night trick? Thus picking up lots of the little devils in one swoop?

Snails are good, they eat the unwanted/leftover food, stir the substrate, eat algae!!! If you're having a population explosion it can be due to over feeding sometimes.

Oh and hello welcome to the forum :D

Axle - shush penfold :lol:
 
Yes the vegetable trick is what I refer to as a snail trap. The snails seem to preoccupied with my plants to go on the vegetables.
 
Not sure about the loaches, but I'd like to point out that Kribensis is a highly proficient snail-eater if you think you have room for a pair. Might lead to too many cichlid pairs in one tank and subsequent fighting, though, so dunno. :unsure:
 
Not sure about the loaches, but I'd like to point out that Kribensis is a highly proficient snail-eater if you think you have room for a pair. Might lead to too many cichlid pairs in one tank and subsequent fighting, though, so dunno. :unsure:

Yeah I have considered kribensis but I think that would be overstocking the cichlids.
 
There is of course the choice of the Assasin snail - also know as Anentome Snail - will eat other snails.

Info: This snail is fairly new in the hobby. Known as the snail-eating snail which grows to approx. 1,5cm, makes it suitable for small aquariums ran over by various small snails - have been seen eating Ramshorn, Physa, Malaysian Trumpet snails.

Very attractive looking snail (egg layer) which originates from South East Asia.


saw some in my LFS the other week, so they are avilable.
 
I see no reason why you couldnt add them, they need to be in groups of 4+ :)
 
zebra loaches would work well i think, its what im planning on keeping my snail load down. get a group though
 

Most reactions

Back
Top