Bio Wheel Won't Spin

Langi B

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my bio wheel, it's stopped spinning. It's a Marineland Penguin 200, and I've checked all over for blockages or anything that might physically stop it from spinning, but as much as I can tell, it doesn't seem like it's moving enough water to hit the wheel. Has anyone else had this problem?

try pulling the filter cartridge and see if that will restore the spin. I have had the same issue when I thought that the filter was still clean, but wasn't letting enough water past. You should also see if there is water coming out through the bypass overflow.I also had the problem once after an algae bloom. If needed try rinsing the biowheel in some tank water at the next change. WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT PUT THE BIO WHEEL UNDER TAP WATER!!!! cant stress that one enough, as it will kill your entire tank cycling, and take you back to ground zero for good bacteria.

I put a clean filter in, moving it seems to push enough water through to make it move but only in a little gush. If there is a flow problem with the bypass valve how might I fix that?

Okay, so the media isnt the problem. Next step is to clean the impeller. Turn the filter off, take the two top covers off, and pull up on the black plastic intake tube. If you are facing the filter, it's on the right side, and kind of an upside down "U" shape. Most likely, all the pieces will come up together. but there should be what looks like a plate on the inside end. The impeller fits into the bottom of the plate and is a black grey cylinder with metal shaft though it and a yellow set of fan blades on it. Pull everything apart and wash it all off. Often times, algae will build up both in the tubing and on the impeller. This chokes the water flow, and you should wash it out every few months. Also, on the re-install, there is a little arm with a tab on it that comes off the plate. The tab locks into a slot on the right side of the inner wall. You will see it when you take it out.

Like Squeakytoy said, cleaning the impeller is important but while you have it out, use a small bottle brush to clean inside where the impeller fits. Any dirt at all in that area will badly slow the impeller and reduce your flow. When reassembling the filter make sure the metal rod through the middle of the impeller is properly seated into the bearing areas in the housing and in the plastic cap he was talking about. I would put those pieces in place and then try out the impeller to make sure it moves freely. If you just put a little water into the area where the impeller sits, you can briefly plug in the filter and can tell immediately if it is running freely. The water is important because it cools and lubricates the impeller bearings.

Most reactions

Back