April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Megalodon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
does anyone have any bio orbs?
 what size do you have?

do they function better as nano tanks? do the larger ones properly filter everything?

are they worth the price?

i saw a larger bio orb and i was smitten,but it seems it only functions with a airstone and lights.

You can add an internal filter, but it's difficult to get it to sit securely and doesn't look that good. The included filter system is very poor.

I actually looked at the BiOrb range when I was looking at getting a nano set up last year but decided against them, even though I do like the 'bowl' look.

For a start, once they're full of water, they distort the fish horribly.

i would say they're another gimmick and more for home decor than 'proper' fishkeeping.

fluttermoth said:
You can add an internal filter, but it's difficult to get it to sit securely and doesn't look that good. The included filter system is very poor.

I actually looked at the BiOrb range when I was looking at getting a nano set up last year but decided against them, even though I do like the 'bowl' look.

i would say they're another gimmick and more for home decor than 'proper' fishkeeping.
shame...they are really beautiful. maybe as an over planted nano tank...but now im rethinking a larger one.  would one even be able to change the bulbs from the light fixture..my thought was it would look super neat as a glo fish tank,but once again fliteration becomes an issue. and

I do.
105 liters.
Not sure what you are asking. The smaller ones are quite useless IMO. Unless you only want to keep livebearers or betta you should get a 60 liter one. The life range is not great as the floor space is midget. I find my filter is adequate.
I like them.

Pros:

They look cool IMO.
They're made of sturdy acrylic.

Cons:

They can make fish look bigger than they are.
Small surface area.
Filter is weak.
Cannot stock like regular tank.
People on TFF will hate you for owning one XD.
Lighting is tiny.
Not much flow.
Bad for growing plants.
Very expensive
Cleaning is kinda tough.
Under gravel filter with sharp rocks means bottome feeders should be minimal.

All in all, I got my biorb cos I was sick Of my glass tanks shattering and wanted a neat all in one acrylic aquarium package. It has served me well. For my purposes the filter has gone well. I have live plants mostly swords crypts and anubias. I do not like the small ones or the life or the box type ones. The ones you want are the 60-105 liter bowls IMHO.

It is far easier to get second hand- I got mine at a great price online in a rare deal on gumtree.

I would reccomend biorb for tetras, livebearers, cherry barbs, rasboras, some abantoids and inverts.

Hope this helped. :)
Megalodon said:

shame...they are really beautiful. maybe as an over planted nano tank...but now im rethinking a larger one.  would one even be able to change the bulbs from the light fixture..my thought was it would look super neat as a glo fish tank,but once again fliteration becomes an issue. and

Danios do not have the room required for them in a biorb sadly. Yu can change the light I have not got round to it yet.

Couldn't you up the filtration with a small canister filter?  Rather than having an ugly internal, just run some tubing from a canister.  Still would be a bit ugly to have tubes running up the sides, but it would be better for the fish.  

I could see it as being a kick butt betta tank, but the distortion think would get on my nerves.  I steer away from bow fronts even.

Elrohirthehasty said:
Couldn't you up the filtration with a small canister filter?  Rather than having an ugly internal, just run some tubing from a canister.  Still would be a bit ugly to have tubes running up the sides, but it would be better for the fish.  

I could see it as being a kick butt betta tank, but the distortion think would get on my nerves.  I steer away from bow fronts even.
i wouldnt know the first thing about cannisters..although i hear they are terrific.

i was thinking of one of their 105s or 60s for a typical tank..naturally the 105  if i considered turning it into a glofish tank. i was think of buying a small 30 either in one of the various styles to get aquainted with the tanks themselves..it would be  a nano tank.

Canister filters are just external filters. You can set them on the floor, or in a cabinet, or so.  Two tubs go into the tank, a supply and return.  One sucks water out of the tank and sends it through the filtration, the other sends the filtered water back to the tank.  30L is pretty small...check out the nano section.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/251-fresh-planted-nano-tanks/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back